Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with bottle feeding!

Exclamation Help with bottle feeding!

Well right now I'm in the process of weaning my almost 11 month DS. This was not my choice but I'm pregnant and it is really doing a number on my milk supply . I first realized I wasn't producing enough when DS started getting constipated. He has never had this problem EVER! So last Saturday I did an experiment when my DH was home to help. I decided to pump an entire 24 hrs. to see about how much BM my body was producing. I could not believe it but I only pumped 5.5 oz. in 24 hrs. I used to be able to pump 15-20 oz. in only 2 pump sessions before I got pregnant. I know pumping isn't always a good indicator but I've never had a problem pumping. We have tried formula and he is not having it so we are feeding him whole milk Lactaid or Goats milk. These are the only 2 things he will drink besides BM and juice. The problem is he is not to big on a bottle. He will only drink 2 oz. (at the most!) at a time and that is about every 4hrs. I also BF him about 5x day. A total liquid intake for him a day is about 15 oz. of liquid (I read somewhere that he should be getting 24oz/day). He is still having harder poops and I do not know how to get him to drink more. I've been feeding him the p's as solids to help soften his poop enough for him to pass it by himself. Any help would be great!!!!!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Default Re: Help with bottle feeding!

Try to just use a sippy cup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Yeah we have been working with a sippy cup but he won't drink from one. He just likes to tip the cup over and spill the liquid everywhere. If we do manage to stick it up to his mouth he flinches away and screams.

Also with & due 11/23/11

My son is 8 months old and won't take a bottle either. He does ok with the Nuby sippy cup, but does much better with a regular cup. He'll only drink about 2-3oz at a time too. Not enough for a feeding, so I'm on the same boat as you. Have you tried a regular cup? Maybe that'll work!

Thanks ladies for the suggestions. We have been trying a larger nipple size and it seems to be working much better. Last night before bedtime he drank almost 5 oz. of milk and he slept so good for the first time in a long time! Maybe we are on to something!

Also with & due 11/23/11