Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Weaning to Bottle?

Default Night Weaning to Bottle?

I am in the process of weaning my 13 month old. He is progressing well - We are down to 1 or two feedings (morning/night) during waking hours, but he is still waking at least 2x/night to feed. (I haven't even tried to night wean yet because I want the reduced number of day time feedings to "settle in", to become habit.)
    Also, I'm confused. Everything I've read (Jay Gordon, Elizabeth Pantley, and others) say that toddlers don't need to feed at night and that nursing is just a sleep aid. However, I really think my LO is hungry (it's not JUST a comfort thing) and will wake up more often to nurse if I limit his intake at any of the sessions. Proof to me that he's hungry is when he gets more calories during the day, he nurses less frequently at night. Also, he pulls off the breast himself, and then I put him back in the crib not fully asleep.
    So I've been thinking about having my DH go in when he wakes to offer him a bottle (cow's milk, like day time), but I'm also afraid that will be more disruptive and keep my LO up longer.
    I don't know - I guess I'm confusing weaning with trying to get my son to STTN, and am really beginning to think that maybe they are 2 separate things and I can only do one thing at a time. So, after weaning him from the breast, I will have to wean him off the bottle to get him to STTN later?
    Anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Default Re: Night Weaning to Bottle?

I don't think it's that your son is not hungry but that it is possible to condition him not to be hungry anymore at night. Right now his body is used to getting food at certain times of night, so he probably is hungry, but after night weaning he won't be hungry at night anymore because his body will be used to getting the calories at other times of day.

When night-weaning DD I just made her go longer each night before I nursed her. I felt this way I wasn't making her go too long hungry but after a few days she was sleeping through the night fine.

I would really try to avoid introducing a bottle if possible. JM2C

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I am in the process of night-weaning my 16mo. I have noticed that he is eating more during the day, especially at dinnertime, which used to be his smallest meal. I think that pp is right - his body is adjusting to when he is being fed.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

jmo, but I wouldn't go to a bottle at this age, I think they recommend weaning off bottles for both ff & bf babies after a year. If you feel like he really needs milk, you might offer him a sippy.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Thanks to all of you for your responses. jadesmama, we need to practice more with the sippy. He's having a hard time with it. jeannie.bean how long did you wait to nurse your lo and what did you did do if she cried? imma2nonstopaa, what method are you using to night_wean?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*needbreak View Post
    jeannie.bean how long did you wait to nurse your lo and what did you did do if she cried?
    Here is a link to my night-weaning story. Sorry, I just saw your question.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I just want to chime in and say that in my house there was a vicious cycle going on that I needed to make major conscious efforts to break. That was when I work all day and either we come home together or I come home to him, he wanted to always nurse right then. And that would in turn affect how much solids he wanted to eat at dinner and that would affect how often he woke to eat at night. So my DH needed to work with me to make sure dinner was ready as close to as soon as we get home as possible so he eats as much dinner as possible and then stays asleep. He's been STTN since 31months. He's 39months old now.
    I definitely think you need to work to make sure dinner is a larger meal AND if you eat dinner really early, 5:30-6pm I would maybe offer a snack like a banana before bed. OR any unfinished dinner. My son is often grazing on his dinner until right before bedtime. We allow that. Nothing sucks worse than being woken up to nurse AGAIN except ACTUALLY getting out of bed at 4:30 am to feed a kid a banana and a piece of cheese. Because then I get to feel like an A-hole for not giving him enough to eat in the 1st place. AND being resentful of the umpteenth nursing session. When clearly he's hungry! How am I supposed to get back to sleep when I feel that guilty???

Way too lazy for formula