Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new to exclusively pumping

Default new to exclusively pumping

Is is alright to pump every 4 hrs during the day or do I need a set schedule like 7 am, 11 am, 3 pm. 7 pm, and 11 pm? Or can I just pump when I get up in the morning and than every four hours after that? I am using a medela pis backpack style pump. Also i am only pumping 4 oz each session ( 2 from each side) at this point. It takes less than 5 minutes per side to get the 2 oz, Am I getting the hindmilk if I pump for such a short period of time?

Default Re: new to exclusively pumping

How old is your baby? Can I ask why you are exclusively pumping?

You should pump every 2-3 hours during the day and at least once at night. Pumping sessions should last 15-20 min to ensure multiple letdowns, removal of as much milk as possible (so your body creates more) and the hindmilk.

If you're looking to increase milk supply, pump longer and more frequently. Also, you can eat oatmeal (the kind you cook, not instant) every day and take herbs.

Good luck! Keep in mind that pumping is 'learned'. It's not always easy to let down to the pump but the more often and longer you pump, the more you'll get over time!

Default Re: new to exclusively pumping

here are some useful links to add to the pp:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html

fenugreek is one of the several herbs that you can take to increase your milk supply:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

also massaging your breasts while you pump may yield more milk. i find that when i massage my breasts, i can get at least 2 let-downs (hence more milk).

...and i agree with the pp...you should try to pump at least every 2-3 hours...and if time is a constraint and you cannot pump for 15-20 minutes, you should at least aim to pump for a couple minutes AFTER milk has stopped coming out.

HTH!