Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething = solids strike?

Default Teething = solids strike?

FTR, my DD is 8 months old and she's generally not interested in solids. She's a boobie girl all the way.

So far, I've gotten her to eat chunks of apple, banana, pear and cucumber, and some teething cookies, French baguette (bad, very bad!), as well as a bit of apple/peach puree I made for myself. Her 7th tooth just cut through and I can see no.8 underneath the gum...she's fussy, crabby, easy to cry, etc etc, so I know she's in pain, but I'm wondering if the teething could cause her to stop eating solids altogether. In the last week or so, she just refuses almost everything I give her. The only things she's accepted were chunks of cold cucumber and bites of my pear...maybe because they were cold and easy to gum?

Oh, and if it wasn't for the fact that she has to be in full-time daycare in 6 weeks, I wouldn't give a damn about whether or not she eats solids, but she refuses all bottles, and won't take formula or EBM in the sippy cup, so I need to resolve this issue relatively soon.

Default Re: Teething = solids strike?

my son is 20 mo now and I remember him eating less when he teeth. Is she still nursing?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Ugh! ! This sounds like us right now. DD is 16 months and is cutting 6 teeth. She's hardly eating at all it seems. It's so frustrating, because at this age it seems like she needs to be eating more. I know it must be frustrating for you too!

DS eats less when he's teething, too. I think that things taste funny when he's cutting teeth - I remember that my food tasted funny when my wisdom teeth were coming in. The theory is bolstered by the fact that DS gets excited when he sees food, and then turns it down after he tastes it. I finally started giving him only bland food when he's teething, and it works much better.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygurl View Post
    my son is 20 mo now and I remember him eating less when he teeth. Is she still nursing?
    All. The. Time. It's like having a very large, wiggly newborn

I would not worry too much... she is still getting what she needs from mama!!!! I know when my kids are teething or ill there appeitate changes...

Just keep nursing her through it....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Halfasianmomma View Post
    All. The. Time. It's like having a very large, wiggly newborn
    What a great description!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png