Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using a lact-aid

Default Using a lact-aid

I'm having trouble trying to use a lact-aid. I have to use nipple shields otherwise bubba won't latch on. So we manage to get him latched on, (not easy with a shield) probably not quite right so I need to correct that, and then I try and wriggle the little tube into the side of his mouth. Usually by the time I get the tube in he's frustrated and lets go, or I can't get it in far enough so he gets no milk, or he's biting me trying to squeeze something out! I'm thinking about not using it and encouraging him to comfort suck when he's not hungry, but I know it would be better to have him sucking as much as possible to encourage milk.
    Also, does anyone know if I can take herbs on top of taking domperidone? Which ones are the best?

Default Re: Using a lact-aid

A suggestion from my IBCLC is to run the tubing on the UNDERSIDE of the breast and use the paper tape (she said to use a band aid, actually) right outside the areola. This way, when you latch baby to the breast, the tube will go right in. It makes it a more natural process for both mom and baby.

I'm not sure about the herbs AND dom. But the best herbs to take are a combo pill called More Milk Plus. You could contact the owner of the product and ask her. She is very knowledgable and would probably know. The website for that is motherlove.com

Good luck! It does get easier!

Thanks Felicia, I will try that and see how it goes. It's just frustrating trying to make everything work. The last thing I want is to make it a bad experience for him, we will just keep on trying. I'll try the tube underneath, hopefully he will get some milk from it.

Is he starts to get frustrated, angry or upset, stop right away. You don't want him to associate the breast with not so good feelings.

When you're placing the tube underneath the breast, it's easier to get it in the mouth when the baby latches. So, it would be in his mouth from the start, instead of trying to slip it in after he's latched. When you hold your breast/areola to help him latch be sure to have the tube on the breast. It *should* make it easier.

If you still have trouble, please call an IBCLC or a local LLL leader. The IBCLC will be able to show you how to properly use the SNS so that you're not struggling and upseting yourself and the baby. The leader may be able to help you learn to use the SNS but even if she can't, she can offer wonderful support.

You are doing a wonderful thing for your baby. Dedication and patience and you'll get there!!!

Hugs!

Thanks again, Felicia
    It works! He's had 2 small feeds today using the lact-aid. Only about 25ml at a time, but it's sure better than before. I will make sure to take him off when he starts getting frustrated (he starts biting when he gets annoyed). I had to squeeze the bottle of milk to get more in his mouth when he first latched on, it's really slow compared to what he's used to. Hopefully he will get the hang of feeding from it and get the milk faster. How is your progress going? I love the photo of your baby!

Yay! I'm happy that it worked for you! Does running the tube under the breast make it more natural? I have yet to try my SNS as DS really doesn't want to latch.

With time, he'll learn how to do it. What kind of bottles/nipples are you using? Be sure to use the slowest flow nipple when feeding from a bottle. Also, another tip from my IBCLC, when you feed from a bottle, don't fill the nipple completely so that it pours out. You'll want to hold the bottle so that the nipple is only half full so that the baby has to work for it. Don't worry about air. The baby actually gets more air when the nipple is filled completely because then, the air has no where to go! You could also try holding the bottle under your armpit and latching the baby to the bottle just as you would breast. This keeps the bottle nipple half full.

Thanks! I love that picture too! The full shot is really cute as he's holding his one foot in the air! My progress is going. It took me 4 days but I have almost 3/4 of an oz of breastmilk stored in the fridge. I'm hoping to get up to more of a full feeding (he takes 6 oz formula) before giving it to him. We'll see what comes in 4 days, I guess!

Keep up the work! You are doing so great! It does get easier!!

Yay! How long did it take before you started getting milk while expressing? This is only day 4 for me but I hope it starts happening soon. And yes, the tube under my breast makes feeding much more natural. He doesn't get upset because the milk is there with the first few sucks. He jsut had a wee feed this morning, drank nearly 25ml again and fell asleep. I'm going to try him on slow flow teats. My LC gave me an interesting article on using bottles to encourage breastfeeding. They recommend that you use a slow teat with a long teat-thingy and feed the baby while he's sitting up. Make sure bubs has as much of the teat in his mouth as possible, so it's resting on the roof of his mouth. And also to have it 1/2 full like you mentioned. I'm going to give it all a try.
    Hope you have a really nice day with your baby and manage to express some more milk!

I hope you continued to have success with the SNS! The more the baby nurses, the easier it will be for you. If you can, don't use bottles at all, feed strictly from the SNS. It may seem like a pain but it will work wonders with the baby giving you stimulation at every feed! The SNS helps the baby realize that food comes from the breast.

It's hard to say how long it took me. I off and on started this about a month and a half ago. But I didn't get all out serious (meaning strictly pumping every day, taking herbs, etc.) until 20 days ago. So, if I had to say based on my most recent start, it took me 14 days until I could get milk with the pump. I could manually express about 10 days in. I still do both pumping and manual expression because my body hasn't completely adjusted to the pump.

With patience and dedication, you'll get there soon enough! Good luck and keep us updated!!