Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing For Comfort-Milk Drying Up....

Default Nursing For Comfort-Milk Drying Up....

My son is 16 months old. He still nurses 3 or 4 times a day, but it is almost always comfort nursing. He probably gets milk once a day, at the most. I think he is fine with comfort nursing, but I think my milk is drying up. I hardly ever get a letdown. I always thought we would CLW, but I cannot imagine dry nursing him for a long time. Thoughts? Should I try to pump and increase my supply?

This has been going on for many many months, but is more prevalent now.

Default Re: Nursing For Comfort-Milk Drying Up....

Hi there, my son is almost 17 mo and he also nurses just a few (3-4) times a day (at least during the week) he tends to nurse for shorter periods more often on weekends and holidays, I am certain he is getting milk still and he has actually gotten some on me and him during distracted sessions.

is it just that you aren't feeling a let down? I never really felt one, at least I don't think I did? but I'm still making milk....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

is it just that you aren't feeling a let down? I never really felt one, at least I don't think I did? but I'm still making milk....
    I don't feel a let down hardly at all. I used to feel it. He just doesn't drink when he is nursing. That is, I can't hear him swallow like I usually can when he is getting milk.

Could you be PG?

Deffinatly not PG....

Is this part of self weaning? Do many toddlers just nurse for comfort without getting milk on purpose?

OH yeah toddlers especially once they get closer to the age of 2 are more in it for the comfort and not the milk itself. My little guy (22 months) would probably comfort nurse on a dry boob until he was 10 YO. LOL.

It's totally normal for that to happen. I personally would not worry about trying to pump or increase your supply, it's all about supply and demand at this point. If he wants to drink more milk your body is going to make it. It will take a very long time before you stop making milk for good. Many many months of not nursing or comfort nursing for your body to quit for good.

Enjoy these moments! It's nice to have nursing as comfort only, I think it's been my favorite part of nursing!!! You know your baby is getting nutrition from their solids, and nursing becomes ALL pleasure. It's the best way to re-connect with each other after a long day.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My son is 15 months old and nurses about 5-6 times during the day and then however many times during the night (when he tends to wake up and depending on his milestones level).
    He also eats 3 full meals during the day and 2 snacks throughout.

You say you don't hear him swallow like before, but do you feel your breast(s) being full before you breastfeed him or do they feel completely light and empty? If they feel full a couple of hours after you nurse then at least you know that you're still producing milk.

Only one of my breasts is readily producing an abundant supply of milk now so my son can only get enough milk with one boob. But he comfort nurses after he drinks all of the milk because, poor thing, there's no more after that and sometimes he'll stay latched until another 20 minutes or so until I get another let down. And sometimes I don't feel the letdown when he's latched on but I can see his mouth taking long swigs and I hear swallowing.

So maybe you don't feel the letdown because he's latched on? Also, try drinking some water during his comfort nursing to see if the milk comes in.
    I'm sure that if your son is still nursing 3-4 times a day, your breasts are still producing milk.