Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How did your toddler respond to a new baby in the house?

Question How did your toddler respond to a new baby in the house?

I'm not sure where to post this question...

I nursed DS for over two years and he was in the process of self-weaning when I conceived number two. The PG and infrequent demand meant my supply dried up a few months ago. DS handled it really well, but he definitely remembers 'kikis' and sometimes still asks. He accepts when I tell him there's no milk in the kikis any more and we snuggle or read instead. However, I'm concerned about how he might respond to the new baby nursing. We have talked about the fact that the new baby will be having kikis and he seems fine about it, but I wonder how he'll be when it actually happens. He's a very sensitive and bright little boy and I'd love to hear of your experiences so I have some idea of what he might do, and a 'tool box' of ideas about how to handle it. BTW he's now 31 mths, I'm happy to give him EBM in a cup, but I'm sure he's forgotten how to latch.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: How did your toddler respond to a new baby in the house?

DD#2 was born 2 months ago and DD#1 was almost 2. She was still nursing a lot. She's a very strong comfort nurser.

I don't know where to start :P It wasn't easy the first 6 weeks, we are still adjusting to DD#2 but now it's so much easier. DD#1 is still nursing and I'm setting limits, it's not easy to tandem nurse but it gets better. She's been very demanding th first few weeks but she never complaint about DD#2 nursing, it was natural to her. If she asks to nurse when DD#2 is nursing, I just tell her what things she can't do and she loves to know that haha, if I tell her, DD#2 can't eat pizza, she giggles and asks me to tell her more things she can't do, so funny.

So, to sum up, I think the nursing part is not a problem, it is very natural. Also, my DDs are 23 months apart so DD#1 is still very young and that's why she's demanding.

When is you due date again?

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lasbi.modeu View Post

When is you due date again?

Good luck!!
    April 21st but I'm measuring big, already 1cm dilated, 50% effaced and baby's head is engaged. DS1 was born two weeks early and MW thinks this will be a 37/38 wk baby too. So more realistically April 1st-7th.

Thanks for sharing. I like the pizza - humor can really help!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

It is good that you are trying to figure out your response ahead of time.

FWIW, ds1 stopped nursing when I was around 3-4 months pg, completely on his own. He never asked to nurse until ds2 was around a year old. I think he was okay with a baby needing to nurse, but once the baby was up walking around and no longer a baby in his eyes he didn't understand it. I let him try to nurse. He latched on suckled maybe twice, unlatched giggled and walked away, never to ask again. They are 25 months apart.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.