Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let Down

Thumbs down Let Down

I have read so much about let down, but I don't feel anything when my son nurses. I know he gets milk since he is gaining weight well and definitely spitting up. Is there a way to tell if and when let down is happening?

Thanks!

Default Re: Let Down

If baby is happy, healthy, gaining weight and diaper output is good then you are indeed getting a good let down.

It is totally normal to not feel your milk let-down. You can watch and listen for your baby's swallowing pattern to change as an indicator your milk has let down.

kellymom.com (Is my let-down functioning properly?) states:

Reliable signs of a healthy, functioning let-down include:

In the first week or so, mother may notice uterine cramping during letdown.

Baby changes his sucking pattern from short and choppy (like a pacifier suck) at the beginning of the feeding to more long, drawing, and rhythmic a minute or so into the feeding.

Mother may have a feeling of calm, relaxation, sleepiness or drowsiness.

Mother may have a strong sensation of thirst while breastfeeding.

Baby is swallowing more often. A swallow sounds like a small puff of air coming out the baby's nose and you can usually see the muscle moving in front of the baby's ear, giving the baby the appearance of his earlobes subtley wiggling.

I didn't notice my let down for several months. You are doing just great! No worries.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 26th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon
    If baby is happy, healthy, gaining weight and diaper output is good then you are indeed getting a good let down.

It is totally normal to not feel your milk let-down. You can watch and listen for your baby's swallowing pattern to change as an indicator your milk has let down.

kellymom.com (Is my let-down functioning properly?) states:
    "Reliable signs of a healthy, functioning let-down include:

In the first week or so, mother may notice uterine cramping during letdown.
    Baby changes his sucking pattern from short and choppy (like a pacifier suck) at the beginning of the feeding to more long, drawing, and rhythmic a minute or so into the feeding.
    Mother may have a feeling of calm, relaxation, sleepiness or drowsiness.
    Mother may have a strong sensation of thirst while breastfeeding.
    Baby is swallowing more often. A swallow sounds like a small puff of air coming out the baby's nose and you can usually see the muscle moving in front of the baby's ear, giving the baby the appearance of his earlobes subtley wiggling."

I totally agree! This is great information!

Melissa

i never experienced the sensation of a let down with my first child. now with my second, i feel when the letdown is happening. it is sometimes bothersome as it feels like little tingling neddles or itch.

Also, when I do feel it I notice the sensation more in the breast that she is NOT latched onto than the one she's nursing from (signaling me to get a burp rag ready if I forgot pads!).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by alekxa90
    i never experienced the sensation of a let down with my first child. now with my second, i feel when the letdown is happening.
    This is me! I never felt anything with my first, but with this sweet boy I pure hurt sometimes!

I felt it a lot at first but now hardly at all. I heard that most mommies only feel the first let down even though there are several let downs during a nursing session.

I have never felt my let down in my breasts. I have felt the feeling of calmness and relaxation, and uterine cramps - but even those times are rare.

I know when I let down because she sucks faster and gulps more, but other than that I can rarely tell.

As long as your baby is gaining weight and seems to be getting plenty milk you are almost certainly getting a let down. Just be thinkful you dont get a painful let down that some of us have to put up with.

Katy

I agree with above. I'm currently nursing my 4th child who is almost 3 weeks old. I never felt anything with my first, had slight tingling with my second until she was about 2 weeks old, then had more of the tingling sensation with my 3rd- and it lasted longer- like until she was several months old. I expected with #4 that I'd feel like electric shocks were hitting me- but nothing! I've felt the symptoms listed above, but none of the "letdown" feeling.