Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At what age...

Default At what age...

would you introduce sippy cup?

would you stop offering BM before meal?

I'm trying to get into school in the fall, and LO will be 9-10 months. She never took a bottle so I'd like to go straight to a cup. I need to be away from her during the day for 4-5 hours and I'm wondering at what age I can start doing this with an EBF baby.

I'm looking forward to an easy "away from mom" time for her. Without risk of compromising our BF relationship (ie. giving solids w/o offering BM first), would it matter if the BM is out of a cup vs. boobie?

Nursed for 18 months

Default Re: At what age...

I started w/ the sippy at 6 months. Just here and there, she still doesn't have the hang of it yet (8 months next week). I still BF her about an hour or so before her solids. But lately she's been fighting the solids so I may stretch that out a little.

I've heard that once we stop worrying about how MUCH they eat, it becomes a non-issue & all seems to iron out.

How much does your LO actually get out of the cup?

I know I'm a little early on this issue (she's 5 months) - just trying to apply for either Fall or Spring semester. Want to make sure her caregiver won't have any grief, and that she won't wean early.
    Nursed for 18 months

She doesn't get much, I actually took the valve out of the two I have (old fasioned gerber and an avent magic cup) in order for her to get any out. I just bought a nuby today, we'll see if she will take that. But I would say tops the most she's ever gotten out is 1 oz and thats from me forcing juice on her to make her poop!
    I think just start early (like next month) and keep trying different cups until you find one. You could also test her out on a regular cup, my DD will drink out of those too (but watch out, they love to blow raspberries w/ the liquid!).
    By the time she's 9-10 months you will have introduced some protein and fat foods so the 4-5 hours you are away may be a non-issue for nursing. You might be able to work it out so that you wouldn't nurse during those times and she has a meal/snack midway while you are gone. Maybe nurse right before you leave, snack midway thru and nurse when you get home. It will work out!

Thks
    Nursed for 18 months