Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: excess lipase??

Default excess lipase??

I found out why my BM smells and tastes differently once frozen a few days. I haven't had any problems with refrigerated stuff, but only my frozen milk. within just a few days it tastes and smells AWEFUL ... I thought It was just going bad but in fact I just have excess lipase and read that I have to scald (not boil) it then quickly chill and freeze it to prevent it from doing this, but that kills some of the immunities and the fats. so I for now on can only refrigerate it and use it right away (there goes me building some in the freezer oh well)

Soo I have searched and searched and cannot find out what causes excess lipase? anyone know this answer?? can I fix it or not It doesn't meen I am malnourished does it??

Thank you !!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Default Re: excess lipase??

i found this in another thread...
    http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/nursing/lipase.html

it doesn't really say what causes excessive lipase, but it does recommend avoiding soy...

HTH!

thank you for the link ! It does help!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Hi Tiffany,

You done a good job researching your problem already! It sounds like you have good info. on why your bm smells "off" after freezing it. Unfortunately, it have never heard of any way for one's body to produce less lipase in breastmilk.

Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyjewel
    thank you for the link ! It does help!
    you're welcome!

Hi Tiffany,
    I just figured out today that I have the same problem. I ve been storing BM in the freezer for the past 3 1/2 months and I am very very upset...
    There really isn't any information on how to prevent this - the only thing I found was to switch from prenatal to regular multi-vitamins as most prenatal vitmamins have added lipase. I am not sure how true this is as it is coming from another forum, but I am definitely switching today to regular vitamins.
    Also, I can guarantee that avoiding soy will not help you with that - I have been soy free for the past 2 months (my daughter is alergic to "something" in my diet so no dairy, soy and eggs for me).
    Hope this helps and please keep us posted if you find any other useful information.
    Borislava
    Last edited by borislava; September 8th, 2006 at 09:36 AM.

I have been pumping and freezing my bm for 3 months. I am producing a lot more than my son eats so I was excited to get this much frozen for when I go back to work! But, my husband and I went out of town for the weekend and left our son with Grandma for the first time (that was hard!) I thawed out quite a few bags of bm to find out that they had that awful sour, rusty smell and taste! My son ate the milk with no problem, but it really makes me feel bad for him to have to eat such yucky milk! I am so disapointed that the entire deep freeze full of milk might go to waste! Does anyone know if it is still safe to give to babies if they will eat it?

From what I read it is safe to give it to the baby, if the baby does not mind the taste. My son drank the thawed milk most of the time, and developed wonderfully.

Here is another good link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

take care,
    Oana

I have the same problem. The advice from my lactation consulatant was "do yourself a favor and stop tasting it! Your baby should drink it just fine and it's perfectly safe to give her."
    So I gave it to her and she's been drinking it for 2 weeks now with no problems at all.
    I would rather have her drink it like this than have to scald it and burn off some of the nutrients.