Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good Books on Weaning?

Default Good Books on Weaning?

I wrote down the one that Molly suggested in another thread: How Weaning Happens. Any other suggestions? Especially for co-sleeping toddlers who have not even night-weaned yet? I'm so NOT looking forward to this process at all. Laith has a massive temper tantrum, including hitting and kicking me, if I try to end the session before he's ready or direct his attention to eating something/doing an activity.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Good Books on Weaning?

something from dr sears might be what your looking for or

Bengson, Diane
    HOW WEANING HAPPENS
    LLLI, 1999
    Written by an LLL Leader, HOW WEANING HAPPENS includes the personal experiences of mothers who have weaned in a variety of ways. It covers the kinds of questions parents have about natural weaning, explains how weaning can be accomplished at various ages, what to do if weaning is necessary for medical reasons, how to handle pressure from others, how mothers feel about weaning, and what to do if weaning isn't going well. Above all, it reassures parents that weaning is a natural developmental process. (Reviewed in NEW BEGINNINGS, Sept.-Oct. 1999.)

Bumgarner, Norma Jane
    MOTHERING YOUR NURSING TODDLER
    LLLI, rev. ed., 1999
    Practical, reassuring, informative, and supportive book for the mother of a nursing toddler. Emphasizes meeting child's needs. Discusses importance of breastfeeding relationship, natural weaning, temporary changes in lifestyle, society's expectations vs. child's and family's needs. Written by an LLL Leader. (Revised edition reviewed in NEW BEGINNINGS, July-Aug 2001.)
    Available in English, French, and German.

Huggins, Kathleen & Linda Ziedrich
    THE NURSING MOTHER'S GUIDE TO WEANING
    Harvard Common Press, 2007
    Many breastfeeding mothers express concerns about weaning when their babies are just a few weeks old. This book explores all aspects of weaning, starting with historical aspects and ending with weaning a child over three and life after weaning. Offers practical and helpful advice that respects the needs and feelings of both mother and child.

hoW ABOUT this one also

KIDS, PARENTS,AND POWER STRUGGLES
    Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
    An audio book that addresses how parents can cope with the everyday challenges of raising a child. Includes helpful information and a unique approach to stopping power struggles and tantrums

Dr. Jay Gordon has a great article on nighttime weaning and cosleeping. http://drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp No BTDT experience, but I've heard good things from mamas who've followed his plan or a modified version of it.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Dr. Jay Gordon has a great article on nighttime weaning and cosleeping. http://drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp No BTDT experience, but I've heard good things from mamas who've followed his plan or a modified version of it.
    I have his book. It will be good for nighttime weaning but it doesn't address how to teach a co-sleeping child to fall asleep on their own without the breast.
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

So are you looking to wean completely? Or just get him to fall asleep on his own and STTN?

Way too lazy for formula

Sorry I don't really have any advice for you. We are pretty much in the same place you are.

I just started readying "How Weaning Happens" (I Have been carrying it to work with me every day for the past two months, but just today finally opened it ) I also have "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" but haven't started that one yet.

I don't know if we are ready to wean or not. A part of me thinks yes, and a part of me thinks NO! Caitlyn will be 2 next month and I had planned on weaning sometime after she turns two. I never in a million years thought we would go this long and I am so happy that we have

We still co-sleep and have no plans on ending that anytime soon either (although she does have a new toddler bed next to my bed. Her stuffed animals are the only things sleeping in it ) I have been worried that we won't be able to wean while still co-sleeping.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    So are you looking to wean completely? Or just get him to fall asleep on his own and STTN?
    Not completely. 3 times a day would be nice. I'd like him to be able to fall asleep at a decent hour without the boob. Longer stints at night would be good although I do have periods of them. His thing now is that he switches boobs every 30 seconds when he nurses at night so I have to keep rolling into different positions. I often end up awake from all of this and it's hard for me to fall back asleep.

I just see this getting harder as time goes on. He's never slept in anything but our bed, he's almost always had the boob to fall asleep with, it is difficult to distract him when he wants the boob (during the days when he seems to BF every hour), he's not night-weaned. He's had it pretty freakin' good. Now I need a little of me back.