Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple pain after pumping

Default nipple pain after pumping

I have started to pump more often during the day and feeding my ds from the breast in the morning and at night. However after 3 days of pumping every 3 hours my nipples are really sore to the touch. I have been putting olive oil on the areola part before I pump but not on the nipple. Is there anything else I can do to ease my pain? I have turned down the suction on my pump. I have a Medela PIS backpack style pump. TIA

Default Re: nipple pain after pumping

Have you tried Lansinoh? I was going to suggest turning the suction down on your pump. But you since you already have, I hope it helps!

Melissa

Would I put the lanosil on the nipple part of the breast or just on the areola? I ask about the nipple because wouldn't it get into the breast milk if I put it on the nipple?

This is fairly normal. It took my nipples about a week and a half to get used to the pumping so oftern. A pump works much different than the baby.

I second the PP, try some lansinoh. It does get better!!

You can put the lansinoh on the nipple. It's perfectly safe for babies. You don't even have to wipe it off before pumping. You should apply it after every pumping to keep the nipples moist and to ease pain.

HTH!

You also want to be sure the breast shield is large enough for your nipple. Your nipple should not rub the sides of the shield. Medela's web site has great info on this issue HERE (even a video!) and states:

"Many women appear to benefit from a size other than the standard 24 mm breastshield. In one study, many moms were fitted with either a Large or Extra Large breastshield within the first days after birth, and even more moms eventually used these larger sizes in order to pump comfortably and effectively. It is almost impossible to tell which size breastshield is the best fit without watching the nipple movement during pumping.

To determine whether you think you might need a Large or Extra Large breastshield, look at your nipple as it is drawn into the tunnel of the shield during pumping. It should move freely and easily, and should not rub against the sides of the tunnel. If the breastshield fits tightly, your nipple will rub against the sides of the tunnel with each vacuum movement of the pump. After several pumpings, you may notice that the outside of the nipple (rather than the nipple tip) is tender or sore. You may also see a little ring of skin flecks in the tunnel of the breastshield after you pump. While a little circle of milk in the tunnel is normal, a ring of skin flecks probably indicates that the tunnel is too small, and that you would be more comfortable with a larger breastshield. When your nipple moves freely in the tunnel of the breastshield, you will also note a gentle pulling movement in the areola each time the pump cycles. If you do not see any movement in the areola with the pump vacuum, the breastshield is probably too small.

Nipple moves freely and easily Click here to view video

If you have either or both of these symptoms--nipple tenderness around the outside surface of the nipple or problems with breast emptying-- your pumping will probably be improved with a larger size breastshield."

HTH!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

i agree with paint-the-moon...as i was reading your thread, i was just thinking to myself "i bet her breastshields may be too small". i'm thinking your nipples are rubbing against the sides of the breastshields and this is causing the pain...so i'd definitely look at getting larger breastshields! HTH!