Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 hours without pumping

Default 12 hours without pumping

Hi

I love this forum, has helped me with sooo much! I need some help.

I've been pumping 2 - 3 times while at work. I can only manage to pump every 4 hours, so far the output has been pretty good. My 6-month old (today ) is gaining well & we have just started solids. I've been considering supplementing, due to work getting more & more hectic, plus with me having to be outdoors for events soon. But it's kinda heartbreaking, since we've gone this long.

Here's the thing: This weekend we have a big event. First big one since i came back to work mid-January. I'll be at an outdoor festival from 1pm - 2am, without a place to pump. Even if i manage to find a place (and time!), there won't be a place to store since my ice packs will only last 6hrs tops. Will not pumping that long affect my supply drastically? This is only number 1 out of a few more no-pumping events to come.

Help?

Default Re: 12 hours without pumping

you might want to figure out something even if its just to hand express and then toss the milk.
    IF your body is used to pumping that much you might risk a plugged duct or worse if you don't remove some milk in that time frame.

use a potty break to pump or hand express.

Back when I was pumping/nursing that frequently I know I couldn't have gone 12 hrs without feeling engorged. Like PP, I would suggest finding time to express some way...I'm assuming during a 12hr shift you have to a)go potty and b)eat a meal, so that's when I'd pump or express...even if just long enough to relieve any engorgement. If it were me, I'd pump/express immediately before the event (in my car if necessary), then at least once during the event, and then immediately following the event (if I wasn't able to get home to my LO right away).

As for storing milk...you say it's a festival...is there food/beverage service there? If so, you could ask for ice from a vendor and refill it if necessary. Store the cooler bag in a nice shady place (not in a warm car). Or have DH/SO come pick it up or drop off fresh ice packs. Or better yet, can DH/SO bring your LO to you once during the 12hr shift so you can nurse?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I couldn't go 12 hours without pumping. I'd sneak away to the car and pump if I had to, and probably arrange for someone to come pick up the milk if I didn't think it would hold. We have a smallish cooler that works wonders. You can fill it half full with ice. Even if half the ice melts, the water in the cooler remains cool enough that it keeps the milk at a reasonable temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    you might want to figure out something even if its just to hand express and then toss the milk.
    IF your body is used to pumping that much you might risk a plugged duct or worse if you don't remove some milk in that time frame. use a potty break to pump or hand express.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*princess.sarah View Post
    I couldn't go 12 hours without pumping. I'd sneak away to the car and pump if I had to, and probably arrange for someone to come pick up the milk if I didn't think it would hold. We have a smallish cooler that works wonders. You can fill it half full with ice. Even if half the ice melts, the water in the cooler remains cool enough that it keeps the milk at a reasonable temperature.
    Definitely get the milk out, or your body will not be a happy place to be! If you can get ice that would be great; if your stash can stand it & that's too much of a hassle then just pump & dump. But make sure that you care for your health, mama. Plugged ducts are no laughing matter.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thank you so much for all the response

It's an outdoor music festival with 2 main stages n lotsa other smaller ones. The cooler half filled with ice is such a good suggestion! I'm gonna try that. However, I just checked and there's nowhere i can store any belongings. Except in my car. Thank God for a parking pass, or i'd have to park a million miles away. Will a cooler filled with ice and/or ice packs be ok in my car? It's gonna be a hot day for sure.. I suppose the trunk will be the hottest place?

I just hope i'd be able to sneak away to pump. If i have to store in the car, think i'd get DH to come and pick it up. Next up: How to clean my pump. All that's available are portable toilets.

Even if you can't store it - express it... too much risk to your health if you don't

Last edited by @llli*number4; March 20th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aishah View Post
    =It's an outdoor music festival with 2 main stages n lotsa other smaller ones. The cooler half filled with ice is such a good suggestion! I'm gonna try that. However, I just checked and there's nowhere i can store any belongings. Except in my car. Thank God for a parking pass, or i'd have to park a million miles away. Will a cooler filled with ice and/or ice packs be ok in my car? It's gonna be a hot day for sure.. I suppose the trunk will be the hottest place?=
    Can you stash it under a stage with the musicians' cases? If it's bands, there will be some big equipment piles.

I just hope i'd be able to sneak away to pump. If i have to store in the car, think i'd get DH to come and pick it up. Next up: How to clean my pump. All that's available are portable toilets.
    Just throw the pump parts in the cooler, too.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

You can also buy wipes (by Medela I think) to wipe your pump down with.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Next up: How to clean my pump. All that's available are portable toilets.
    Medela Quickclean Wipes are great and I use them all the time, then I give my equipment a good clean when I'm home. You can get them at Target or on amazon.com.