Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking about slowing down...

Default Thinking about slowing down...

So my LO is almost 16 months now and I am considering quiting pumping for him while at work. I am really pumping less and less and the daycare says that he does fine without his bottle. I was only sending one a day. I just cannot shake the feeling that if I stop pumping while at work I will regret it and never be able to go back...I have had supply issues since day one and somehow have managed to give only BM for the first 7 or so months and then limmited solids and BM until 12-13 months and now solids and BM and he gets cows milk at daycare...AHHH! Just scared to make the wrong decision...

Default Re: Thinking about slowing down...

I say do it. I believe that of you have been making milk for a year or longer and it's all supply and demand than as long as you and your child wish to continue while together, you will be able to. It sound like you really never supplemented? Just worried about it? If you make it to the year point you can trust your body to make enough when your child is the one extracting the milk.

I went back to work at 14 months and we had never been a part. I never pumped one time and he wouldn't take cows milk and I wasn't real keen on it. He went from nursing 12x a day all day long to no nursing at all and just drinking water for 9-10 hours a day while away from me and just nursing when together. usually 3-5x in a 24hour period when working and all day on my days off. Don't worry. It's supply and demand. If your child demands it, your body will supply it. Sometimes if it's a pump that demands it the results aren't the same. Kudos to you for pumping for this long!
    Pump wean!! You deserve it!

Way too lazy for formula

I felt the same anxiety when I started pump weaning and ended up keeping 1 pumping session for a month after dropping the other 2 sessions. Once I felt more comfortable that DD was getting enough food and milk at DCP, I dropped the last session and never looked back. At 19mos, DD continues to nurse at night and on weekends and my supply has held up just fine.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

thanks everyone!