Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much milk?

Default Too much milk?

Hi everyone! My name is Sarah and I have a four week old little boy named Parker. I believe I am dealing with an overabundant milk supply. I will share with you all WHY i think so and maybe you girls can help me! Ok, first of all, when I have a let down the "pins and needles" sensation is really strong, it is almost painful, actually, it is painful. Also, when I let down, the baby gulps and gulps for 1 minute straight until the flow slows down. He doesn't choke or sputter, but you can tell he is working hard to catch up with the flow. Also, Parker is an extremely gassy baby. He spits up and is often fussy when he is gassy. Also, I pump once in the AM to store milk for my freezer stash and pump anywhere from 6 to 10 oz total a session, which I was told is quite a bit. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Also, does anyone know if an overabundant supply lasts the entire breastfeeding relationship? Or does it eventually regulate itself? Thanks everyone for your ideas!

Default Re: Too much milk?

Hi Sarah. Congratulations on the new baby! It sounds like you are off to a great start with nursing.

Ok, first of all, when I have a let down the "pins and needles" sensation is really strong, it is almost painful, actually, it is painful.
    I'm sorry letdown in painful for you! I'm not sure that's a sign of oversupply, though.

Also, when I let down, the baby gulps and gulps for 1 minute straight until the flow slows down. He doesn't choke or sputter, but you can tell he is working hard to catch up with the flow.
    This sounds pretty good, actually- a lot of moms with oversupply have babies who are choking and spluttering and miserable at the breast. If you're hearing "Suck-swallow-breathe, suck-swallow-breathe" at the breast instead of "Suck-swallow-swallow-swallow-gasp!-choke-waah!" your baby is obviously dealing with the flow quite well.

Also, Parker is an extremely gassy baby. He spits up and is often fussy when he is gassy.
    It's hard to separate normal fussiness and gassiness and spittiness from that related to oversupply. Your baby's gas and fuss and spit could be totally normal. What are his poops like? Are they yellow and curdy, or green and watery? If they're yellow you may want to leave things alone. But if they're consistently green, I think you may be right to suspect some degree of oversupply, especially since you're pumping 6-10 oz in the morning.

You may want to try some block feeding- offering 1 breast per feeding, sometimes for more than one feeding in a row. Block feeding should help reduce your supply to a more manageable level. Just remember that milk supply varies throughout the day, with milk being most abundant in the morning. You may want to block feed during parts of the day, and alternate sides during other parts.

Also, does anyone know if an overabundant supply lasts the entire breastfeeding relationship? Or does it eventually regulate itself?
    It's supposed to regulate itself eventually- I think around 3 months?

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your reply! You have put my mind at ease. I need to do a little more research on OS. The thing that brought my attention to it the most was his constant gassiness, but he might just be a gassy baby in general. I would like to try the block feeding, but I'm afraid that if I don't have an OS problem that I will lower my supply when I don't need to, know what I mean? I am just going to assume that my body has not adjusted yet to my baby's needs. I did read that your body often makes more milk than your baby needs after delivery and that it adjusts to what he needs about a month or so after delivery. I really appreciate your comments, it has helped! Thank you!
    24 year old mother of 3: Olivia 4 years, Hanna 20 mos, Parker 4 weeks. Exclusively BF'ing since day one, returning to work end of May

Oh, I forgot to mention that my baby DOES NOT have green watery BM's. All of his poops are very yellow and seedy. So thats a good sighn!
    24 year old mother of 3: Olivia 4 years, Hanna 20 mos, Parker 4 weeks. Exclusively BF'ing since day one, returning to work end of May

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahsweet View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention that my baby DOES NOT have green watery BM's. All of his poops are very yellow and seedy. So thats a good sighn!
    Terrific. If you had a real oversupply problem, you'd probably be seeing really greenish, watery poos from the baby taking in too much watery foremilk and not enough creamy hindmilk. I still wouldn't rule out oversupply, but if you have it I'd guess it's a marginal problem, and not a severe one. Don't worry too much about your baby's gassiness- newborns just tend to be gassy as they figure out how to deal with normal digestion. It really does get better in time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son will be 6 weeks on monday and we have milk supply issues. symptoms are: green, mucousy, runny stool (no seeds); extreme gassiness and 15-20 dirty diapers/day, traces of blood in stool, terrible diaper rash (from ALL those diapers!), constant crying; once asleep, he wakes up crying b/c his tummy hurts. I pump a lot, as well, to help get some foremilk out before he nurses. I pump 4oz in 5 min. using a handheld. He is my 4th child and I have had this with all of them. He is the worst, so far. I had to block nurse for 12 hours to help regulate things. Hope some of this info helps!