Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse cycle feeding

Default Reverse cycle feeding

My DD will be 5 months old this Monday. I returned to work last week and she and DS are home with DH during the day. She has always taken a bottle of ebm with no problem prior to last week.

I feed her around 7AM before I leave, and then she goes all day long, until 4-4:30 without eating. DH says she's her normal self all day. She plays and takes naps and isn't unhappy or starving. The first 2 days he made her a bottle b/c it was around the time she would normally nurse. She cried the whole time she took it. The last 2 days, she clamped her mouth shut, arched her back screaming, and pushed the bottle away.

She nurses 3-4 times from the time I get home until she goes to bed, and then wakes up 3-4 times during the night to nurse. It's not affecting my sleep much b/c we cosleep and I only wake up enough to switch sides and latch her on.

I'm still pumping at least 1x a day b/c I don't want my supply to completely drop off, and I get quite full if not. I'm worried about her not eating for 9 hours during the day, but have realized it's "going all night" but during the day. {She isn't sleeping all day, just 2-3 naps that total to about 4-5 hours.}

Should we try to get her to take it from a sippy cup? DH suggested starting solids. She's been showing some interest like grabbing our food and things, but I'm not so sure. We waited til 6 months w/ DS and I'd like to do the same with her, especially since DS has a mild peanut allergy. I think he'd feel better if she was eating something during the day.

Any tips, advice, or "I've been there" 's would be highly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Reverse cycle feeding

This is very common in some babies whos moms work all day. She is nursing well when you are home with her so it is not a problem.

As she gets older she may take a bottle or sippy cup, but don't push it. Keep pumping at work for your supply and the milk in case she does start to take it.

If you are concerned keep checking your babys diapers, make sure she is gaining weight and that she is still content.

Your doing great

That sounds absolutely normal. When my son was 8 months old, we switched child care providers and he started to refuse bottles. Now he's 11 months old and gets most of his nursing done while sleeping. I have found that offering a sippy cup of EBM worked for us. We also nurse at lunchtime, so I have been able to stop pumping at work & I'm just slowly using up my freezer supply.

You could try other nipples for the bottles, other feeding positions, other milk temperatures, possibly even wrapping baby in an article of clothing that mother has worn. Some sippy cups might work, too, but if you're trying one for the first time, take the valve out first, to help baby understand that there is something yummy in there!

Please make sure you are feeding baby lots when you are together! You might have DH do a diaper log for a few days, to ensure that output remains normal.

Thank you for all the responses. She likes the milk a little warmer than "body temperature" when it's in the bottle, and we've tried different nipples and positions and she still won't take it.

I find it odd that she was taking it fine before I went back to work, which was only occassionaly, but now won't have anything to do with it.

If she continues to refuse bm except from me, how often should she be nursing when I am around? Is the 6-8 times in the evening/during the night enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mama2oneboy&onegirl
    My DD will be 5 months old this Monday. I returned to work last week and she and DS are home with DH during the day. She has always taken a bottle of ebm with no problem prior to last week.

I feed her around 7AM before I leave, and then she goes all day long, until 4-4:30 without eating. DH says she's her normal self all day. She plays and takes naps and isn't unhappy or starving. The first 2 days he made her a bottle b/c it was around the time she would normally nurse. She cried the whole time she took it. The last 2 days, she clamped her mouth shut, arched her back screaming, and pushed the bottle away.

She nurses 3-4 times from the time I get home until she goes to bed, and then wakes up 3-4 times during the night to nurse. It's not affecting my sleep much b/c we cosleep and I only wake up enough to switch sides and latch her on.

I'm still pumping at least 1x a day b/c I don't want my supply to completely drop off, and I get quite full if not. I'm worried about her not eating for 9 hours during the day, but have realized it's "going all night" but during the day. {She isn't sleeping all day, just 2-3 naps that total to about 4-5 hours.}

Should we try to get her to take it from a sippy cup? DH suggested starting solids. She's been showing some interest like grabbing our food and things, but I'm not so sure. We waited til 6 months w/ DS and I'd like to do the same with her, especially since DS has a mild peanut allergy. I think he'd feel better if she was eating something during the day.

Any tips, advice, or "I've been there" 's would be highly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
    This sounds like me~I could hav posted this 2 years ago.
    My ds refused to take a bottle. He was home w/ DH and would wait for me. He is 2 now and doing great. My 6 mo takes EBM form a bottle like it's going out of style. Nurse as often as your baby wants at night and try the sippy cup for days.

Quote Originally Posted by mama2oneboy&onegirl
    I find it odd that she was taking it fine before I went back to work, which was only occassionaly, but now won't have anything to do with it.

If she continues to refuse bm except from me, how often should she be nursing when I am around? Is the 6-8 times in the evening/during the night enough?
    It's sometimes helpful to remind ourselves that the change of a parent going back to work after the birth of a child is a big change for the whole family, including the nursling. It may not be the case that she will continue to refuse the EBM during the day. Each baby is different, and her patterns may change over time. The best thing to do as you are all adjusting to this change in your lives is to watch the baby, how does she seem? From your descriptions it sounds like she is doing well. You mention "DH says she's her normal self." That's a pretty good sign that things are going well. Other things to watch for that other posters have mentioned include watching for her normal wet and dirty diaper output (by now she may not have daily stools, but ideally she's still following the pattern of stools from before you started back at work.)

As for solids, there are a number of signs to watch for that it sounds like you're pretty aware of already (there's also a solids forum here on this bulletin board if you want to check it out!) My short list includes: baby is sitting up, watches adults/others eat intently, follows fork/food with eye, smacks along with those eating, reaches for food/picks up food and puts it in mouth (though watch out for this one - 5 month olds are notorious for reaching for ANYTHING in sight! If it's the only sign of readiness your child is displaying it could just be that she's testing her newfound grabbing skill...), can move food from the front of the mouth to the back (aka is no longer thrusting things out of her mouth), seems interested in being a part of the social aspect of meals, etc. As with many other things, starting solids is a milestone that some children reach earlier than others. If you're concerned about peanut allergies, you might want to check on the allergies forum here on this bulletin board.

I hope this information has been helpful! You are doing a great job trying to find the best way to meet the needs of your child, keep it up!

Warmly,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Thanks again, everyone! I will post an update later this week to let you know what she decides to do.

Both of my children reverse-cycled. They rarely had more than 6 oz a day at daycare. We just co-slept and they nursed all night.

Higher flow nipples didn't help with my son.

Don't worry...

I am having the same issue with my 7 month old. He has been in day care since he was 3 months old and has only recently decided to refuse breastmilk in a bottle. He will now go all day with only a 5 - 6 oz bottle (in addition to his other food). I'd prefer him to take more breastmilk during the day but nothing seems to be working. (I tried a sippy.)