Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help and support

Default need help and support

For many many reasons, I decided to stop lactation and switch my 3 1/2 month old to formula. I feel selfish and guilty, but I just had to do it. So instead of weaning, I quit cold turkey and started formula/bottle feeding yesterday. I wasn't really sure how to wean and decided that if I'm gonna do this, I should just get it over with. She is doing fine digesting the formula, but I wonder if she is confused about not having a breast to go to. She was still getting night time feedings. Only sleeping 6 hours through the night at the most. Of couse my breasts are killing me, but I can deal with that. What I am concerned with is how I can make this transition better for my child. Is it too late to go back and maybe try to wean instead of abruptly stopping?

Default Re: need help and support

Well I just read about doing this the right way. So I feel I have a better grip on this. I sound and feel like an idiot, but still if there are any hidden secrets, please let me know...

if you offered a bottle of formula yesterday for the first time, then YES you can bring her back to the breast and wean gradually
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

You can absolutely go back to nursing and then wean gradually. And if you're interested, you can go back to nursing exclusively and continue for as long as you and your baby wish, or you can nurse part-time for as long as you both want. Combination feeding (breast and bottle) still has many of the health advantages of exclusive breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you! We are ging to wean gradually and see how it goes. i am open to doing both. i really just want whats best for her but without me getting so stressed out about it. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abigail View Post
    i really just want whats best for her but without me getting so stressed out about it.
    Can you share what's stressing you out so much? Perhaps there's a fix for it...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, is there a specific thing that causes you stress?

I know for me the first 6 months are really just getting to know the baby's nursing style and getting into a rhythm together. Sometimes you can hit a rough spot. Maybe give yourself more time if possible to get settled into the nursing relationship?

Some women find it's good to set a nursing goal (like 6 mo or 12 mo or whatever they are comfortable with) and that helps get through rough spots. I know I have had many tougher times including one recently. Talking with other bfing mamas really helps!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens