Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: This post might be TMI...

Default This post might be TMI...

It's about poop.

I recently started giving my older ds EBM. He's 22mo, and I also have a 5 week old that I'm nursing, so I figured that I would pump for my older son, so he could again recieve the benefits of the breast milk. However, I've noticed that he hasn't had a really solid poop since he began drinking my milk. It's about the consistency of peanut butter. Is this normal? I think he was actually starting to have problems with the cow's milk again (he was diagnosed with a cows milk allergy at 8mo, became ok to drink it around 15mo, and then again at about 21mo he started having poop problems). He was having some diarrhea and basic loose stools most of the time, and we haven't been able to get into see his pediatric allergist. So anyways, I'm not sure if that was the reason for his poop problems or not but needless to say, his poop has been constantly changing for the past couple months, and I'm just making sure that this kind is ok for his age.

Thanks!

Punky
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: This post might be TMI...

His poop is perfectly consistent with nursing toddlers-soft/peanut butter like...just like my almost 4 year old. I am so glad to see the pumping is going well and your son is benefiting from your milk!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Thank you! It's going very well, he's taken to it with no problems. He doesn't seem to like it as much if it's warm though--he defintiely prefers it out of the fridge, but that's fine by me! I'm just glad he didn't outright reject it.

Punky

Thanks for posting about this - my son has had similar cows milk poop issues, so it's good for me to know what to expect when the new baby comes, if he drinks EBM.

Can I ask...how did your older child react to your nursing a LO? I'm wondering what's going to happen when the new baby comes along because DS only stopped nursing a few months ago (he's 31mths). I'm sure he's forgotten how to latch and I was planning on giving him EBM in a cup if he asks. Was your older child happy with this or did he want to latch on? How did you handle it? If you don't mind sharing. I'm getting anxious about possible jealousy issues with this, because DS thinks the 'kikis' belong to him even though there's no milk any more!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Actually, I had pumped and fed my older ds until he was 12mo, and he hadn't been on the breast since he was a month! I don't even think he remembered me pumping for him because when I pulled it out for the first time, he asked what it was, and was quite intrigued by the whole process.

I'm not sure if it made a difference that he wasn't on the breast, in how he reacted to my lo bf'ing, but he is wonderful! From day 1, he hasn't really cared one way or the other when my lo is feeding. The only time he cares is if he wants something, and I'm unavailable to get it/do it for him. But even then, he'll ask me to put the baby down, and when I explain that I can't at the moment, and I'll get whatever it is that he wants when Brody's done eating, he's fine with it, and will find something else to do until we're done.

I was really worried at juggling breastfeeding, and entertaining him, especially in the early days and during growth spurts when they seem to do nothing but eat! But he really suprised me with how understanding he is and how wonderfully he's doing with playing by himself when I'm tied up with nursing.
    I think your lo will suprise you with how he deals with a new baby on his turf!

Punky

Thank you, that helps a lot! I think I might post and ask other women what their experiences were and how their older ones coped, to get a 'tool box' of ideas.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purple.monkey View Post
    Thank you, that helps a lot! I think I might post and ask other women what their experiences were and how their older ones coped, to get a 'tool box' of ideas.
    Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purple.monkey View Post
    Thanks for posting about this - my son has had similar cows milk poop issues, so it's good for me to know what to expect when the new baby comes, if he drinks EBM.

Can I ask...how did your older child react to your nursing a LO? I'm wondering what's going to happen when the new baby comes along because DS only stopped nursing a few months ago (he's 31mths). I'm sure he's forgotten how to latch and I was planning on giving him EBM in a cup if he asks. Was your older child happy with this or did he want to latch on? How did you handle it? If you don't mind sharing. I'm getting anxious about possible jealousy issues with this, because DS thinks the 'kikis' belong to him even though there's no milk any more!
    Post in the Tandem Nursing forum. We'd love to have you join us over there before baby arrives!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader