Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember my hubby with the 1 year deadline?

Default Remember my hubby with the 1 year deadline?

He said that he realizes this is a battle he isn't going to win. I know it isn't exactly support, but I still see it as a positive step!

I reminded him of some recent battles I haven't won. Not that we keep score, but I didn't want him thinking that I always get my way or that I never budge. I'm just not budging on this.

So, DS is 9.5 months old now. I'll be back in a few months! Thanks for all the advice!

ETA Even more exciting news! DH just got back from lunch with his parents. I stayed home because the baby is sick. MIL was telling her friend about how clingy DS is (she of coarse attributes that to the nursing) and how I "have to nurse" due to his food allergies and the expense of the Neocate he would require. She said, "but she'll be stopping soon because he's almost 1." DH told her that I wasn't stopping, gave her all the medical reasons, and backed me up! I think he's more on board than he'll admit. I was so dreading that conversation with MIL. I'm so glad it happened when I wasn't there. She thinks it's such a terrible thing to have a clingy baby.
    Last edited by @llli*mamatofaith; March 15th, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Default Re: Remember my hubby with the 1 year deadline?

I love when they come around! My hubby was always supportive of however long I wanted to go, but I know SO many who are not.

See you around!
    Becka
    www.learnandgrowtogether.com
    Nick (9) Michele (6) Wyatt (2) Evan due 6/09
    Parent Educator/Licensed Baby,Toddler,&Preschool Sign Langauge Instructor

glad to hear that your DH has grown more supportive!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I find that most men like it when there's a bit of medical research to back them up. Glad he came around.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I'm glad your DH is being more supportive. Good luck with your future nursing. It will be most rewarding!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

I'm so happy for you!!! I think it's great that DH spoke to MIL. I'm a big advocate for DH's dealing with their own Mothers. Their Mothers, their problem.

I love how MIL has decided that your baby is clingy because of BFing. I have issues with my MIL too and I think it's because they're jealous that they can't soothe our babies for us, like we can. It's like they view it as something we've taken away from them, the opportunity to hold & feed. You'll have to excuse me if my heart isn't bleeding for them.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I am so glad you have more support. Yeah for dh for talking to the mil. Make sure he knows how much you appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I think it's great that DH spoke to MIL. I'm a big advocate for DH's dealing with their own Mothers.
    Sometimes a mom will accept hearing things from her son that she would never in a million years accept from her DIL.

I'm glad your DH got on board the nursing-past-one train. Give him a big hug for me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congrats momma.

You know I think it's very common for people to assume that once they are 12 months they aren't babies anymore and suddenly morph into toddlers. That just isn't true. Seems like it's the norm for them to be nursing a lot at 12 months and the relationship changing more towards the age of 2.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It is so great that your hubby stood up for you

My hubby came around too but my in laws are still a bit weirded out by nursing as a whole and they too have the view that something (feeding the baby) has been taken from them. I think this is b/c they have practicly raised their other grandson b/c his mom is not involved. But in this case I think they figure the pendulum swung the other way and they don't like it. Last time they visited and DS asked to nurse they left!! I love them otherwise so I try not to take it personally.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens