Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a couple of questions

Default a couple of questions

Hi Ladies, I have a few questions. The first is about cereal. My DS is now getting 4tbl spoons of cereal for breakfast and 4 for dinner. I just returned to a new part time job and began pumping for while I'm away. I have been mixing the cereal with breast milk but am using so much that I am afraid I will run out. Can I mix the cereal with water or does it have to be breast milk or formula? If I mix it with water, can I use Brita filtered water or does it have to be bottled water?

On a different subject my LO nurses every two hours which is ok with me but he tends to use me as a pacifier also. How can I break him of this habit? He does not like a real pacifier. He tends to chew on them instead of sucking. This is very difficult at night because he wants to be with me if he wakes up and doesn't know how to put himself back to sleep. His doctor wants me to let him cry it out but I don't believe in that. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: a couple of questions

FWIW, I use part Bm and part water to stretch the BM a little further. I don't really know if that's the best idea, but since we only use about 3 Tbsps of cereal total per day I figured it can't be that bad. One thing that's been helping me use less water is to keep my manual pump set up in the fridge all day. I'll pump a little after each time she nurses and after she goes down for the night. I chill the milk in the pump bottle and then transfer it to a storage bottle before the next mini-pumpin session so this I'm not pumping into milk that's already been chilled. It still doesn't give me enough to cut out the water completely but it helps me use less. I'm interested to hear what other people do.
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!

I just use hot tap water in the cereal. I used to use BM but it was the only time I pumped and I hate pumping! LO is 8 months and doesn't seem to mind it!

How old is your baby?

I think it's totally okay to use formula or water to mix with the cereal, and probably okay to use plain Britta water rather than bottled. If you're freaked out about the possibility of pathogens in the water, you might want to boil some water and then keep it in a sealed glass bottle.

You might want to consider skipping the cereal altogether and going right to pureed veggies/fruits. I know cereal is marketed and sometimes even recommended as a first food, but there's really no good reason why you need to start with it. It's not the healthiest stuff- it's fortified with vitamins and minerals but other than that it's just plain starch. If I had to choose between feeding my kid a jar or pureed carrots and cereal, I'd pick the carrots.

I'm glad you don't want to let your baby cry it out. You might want to read Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution, which is full of gentle techniques to help your baby learn to sleep more independently. I found it quite helpful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies, PP suggested The No-Cry Sleep Solutions. I do have that book I just haven't put it into practice yet. My LO is 6 months and eating carrots for luch and cereal for breakfast and dinner. I will try half water and EBM and then maybe just water and see how he likes it. Thanks again!