Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not taking bottle and not reverse cycling

Default not taking bottle and not reverse cycling

I posted previously that my 3mo dd wouldn't take a bottle. Well, I have been back at work for a week now, and she *still* won't take a bottle. The first day she cried a lot, but the other days she was just cranky and wouldn't take it. She seems to prefer to wait for me for the 5 hour stretch. But she's not reverse cycling either, which makes me worried that she's not eating enough, even though she's not complaining.

Her current schedule has been:
    7:15 am nurse one side and part of other, then I go to work
    9-11am nap
    12:30 -1:30 nurse on both sides and comfort suck
    1:30-4 nap
    4:00 pm nurse on one side
    6-6:30 pm nurse on one side
    8-8:30 pm nurse on one side
    9:00 pm down for the night and sleep through till 7am

So she's only getting 5 feedings per day instead of the usual 7 that she was getting before I went back to work. I thought she would wake in the night, but so far she only woke 1 time on 1 day, so she doesn't seem to be reverse cycling. I was wondering if I should wake her up in the night to nurse or trust that if she needs it she will wake up?

Maybe I should give it more time to see what she's going to do? It's only been a week. Maybe she'll still decide to try the bottle, or start reverse cycling?
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Default Re: not taking bottle and not reverse cycling

what are her wet diapars like?
    as long as she is having the wets she needs and poops TRy not to worry!
    Sometime babies can get good at breastfeeding and they don't need as much as we think they do.
    could you add an extra feed when you get home from work?
    that might help ease your mine.
    I don't think its uncommon for babies to wait 5 hours while their mom is at work that's realy not a long time.

You know my son had a very similar situation. I worked nights and he would stay awake and not eat and not go to sleep, just cry for hours. It took about 2 months of my husband working with him for him to finally take a bottle. We tried every nipple out there and ended up with the cheap Gerber bottles. Even once he would take it he wasn't happy but he would eat a little and then sleep. For the two months, my husband would come up if he could and let him nurse for a few minutes to calm him down and hopefully get some sleep. It did get better after time. He continued to nurse for 17 months before I weaned him and we never had too much trouble. I always tried to make sure I kept my supply up by pumping since he didn't eat more in the off hours. But, on my days off, he would eat almost nonstop as if to make up for the lost time. Good luck and I'm sure your baby will adjust to what is best for her.

You might want to try other methods of feeding during the day other than a bottle. You could get your LO to sip out of a cup. Here is an article that might help you a little bit. http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...eding/473.html
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

As babies get older, they get much more efficient at nursing. It may be that your baby has learned to effectively get the milk out of your breasts when you're together, and would prefer to wait for you. It's a compliment to you!

Keep an eye on wet and dirty diaper counts, so you can make sure that baby is getting enough.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

It may take longer than a week for your LO to get into the bottle. My dd took several weeks of taking maybe an ounce or two. She also didn't reverse cycle. But one day, she just started taking bottles. She's never been an enthusiastic bottle drinker, but she takes enough to get by.

I wouldn't bother waking her at night. She'd tell you if she was hungry.

I have to comment about the naps- WOW! You are lucky that you have a baby who likes to sleep. My dd didn't start longer naps (1 hour +) until she was over 10 months. Up to that time I got maybe 25-30 minutes at a time.

So far this week there's been no change. The daycare teacher got her to take about 1/2 oz one day by kind of squirting it in her mouth, but that's it. I bring her a different brand of bottle every day to try to find one she likes. She doesn't seem too unhappy though. They said she's generally happy and "chatty" (she's really started 'talking' a lot this week). She's also still not waking up at night. She woke up one time one night, but that's about typical. I'd say she sleeps through about 80% of the time usually. Her diapers seem fine to me. Anyway, I guess she's doing okay with it and will just wake me up if she's hungry! I'll just have to trust her.

But she is a great sleeper and everyone tells me so! I think she's spoiling me and I'll be so unprepared if we have another one!
    -Alicia

what is reverse cycling? Anyone found a difference in silicone/latex? My 3 Month old is really giving her daddy a hard time with a bottle.

Reverse cycling means not nursing a lot during the day and nursing a lot during the night instead.
    -Alicia

Link to reverse cycling info: http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun00p98.html

Latex bottle nipples vs silicone bottle nipples: they taste different, and many thinks that the silicone ones have a less offensive taste. Many breastfed babies seem to prefer the silicone bottle nipples, since the silicone temporarily adopts the flavor and scent of the milk within the bottle. Usually, the rubber ones just make the milk taste rubber-y. Try them yourself and see what you think.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!