Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Red face Is it possible?

Do you think it is possible to get my 9 month old to latch? Sometimes he latches but he bites instead of sucking. I would love to bf until he is 2 if I could just get him to latch now. It gets to the point where he opens his mouth to latch but bites so now i'm getting afraid. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: Is it possible?

Understand how you feel! I have been there I got my DD to latch at 5 months using a nipple shield. Have you tried one before?
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

He latches on then bites it off. I think because he tends to bite it will be really hard to get him to latch. I can get him to latch to my breast but he bites so now i get nervous (he has 8 teeth 4 on top and 4 on bottom). Not really sure what to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

I think I would try at night putting him to sleep in your bed and if he has a pacifier pull it out and see if he will nurse you with the nipple shield. Maybe sleepy he will bite less?

I don't know maybe, he takes a paci sometimes. I thought about doing it that way. I emailed Dr. Newman and he suggested taking his bottle away and feeding him milk with a sippy and cosleeping. But he really loves his bottle and I feel bad about that. The other thing is that he is such a good sleeper I wonder if putting him in bed with me would disturb that. Although it wouldn't hurt to try. I know that if I don't try everything I would really regret it later kwim?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Well I will tell you. My DD started refsuing the breast and was not gaining well due to some other issues and I made a choice. She was in the bassinet and STTN and I said forget this. I started putting her in bed with me skin to skin and as much as possible during the day and nursing her sleepy and it worked. I don't care that she nurses all night. It's a gift and as badly as you want this you will not regret the decision to do it. No way. Too much and pride for that. Ditch the bottle, get him near the bare breast in a comfy happy way as much as posssible and he may seek it out to suck not bite. Does he get milk out? How much are you producing?

I make about 12 oz a day although I have a feeling that he would empty my breast way better than the pump. I would probably have to supplement although he is starting to really take solids. Right now he gets 2 bottles of bm and the rest formula. I think starting monday I'll bring him to bed with me. I can't start now b/c I work nights as a nurse on weekends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11

How many ounces does you lo take in a day? Before you try to put your lo back on the breast you need to increase your supply. What kind of pump are you using?

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Whoops stupid me! I see that you are relactating! That's awesome that you are! Congrats on making 12oz a day Do you think you can cluster pump to bump it up a little more? Maybe 15 or even 20? Sometimes babies won't latch when mom has a low supply especially when the baby is use to a bottle. Or you can wait for your breast to be alittle fuller when you try. How I did it is I brought on my let down by squeezing my nipples using my fingers. Then I sqeezed some milk into her mouth and she latched on perfectly! You might need to do that bc milk is so easy to get out with a bottle and if he latches on while you have a let down he might realize its easy too!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

If I could get him to latch in the early morning maybe before he wakes up I wouldn't have a problem. In the mornings I am usually leaking and pump about 5 oz. This is about how much he takes from the bottle. I do need to start cluster pumping, I think this would help a lot. Its hard because he is getting so big now and is so distractable when he eats. I am going to try this week to get him to sleep with me and see what happens. I try a lot during the day and sometimes he latches but he always bites. So now when he opens his mouth real big like to latch on I'm afraid to put my nipple in his mouth! When he bites it's hard to get him to let go. It HURTS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Jack 8/11