Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about block feeding and supply

Default question about block feeding and supply

Hi everyone. My ds is 3 months old and has been choking and coughing at the breast but not at the beginning of the feed. He is extremely gassy and seems uncomfortable so I keep thinking that I have an oversupply. He is getting over rotovirus and I think he may be teething too. He's always been gassy and uncomfortable but I feel full a lot right now even after he eats. Does this sound like os or oald? I wanted to try block feeding but I tried it in the past thinking I was overproducing and I then felt like I had lost a lot of supply. So now how do I know if I would be overproducing and try this block feeding? I want to make bfing a little easier for him. He had also some mucuous in his stool and it was green and explosive but doesn't have that all the time. Could that be something I ate? Trying to make my lo feel better. I feel so frustrated so sorry about the lengthy note. Thank you

Jennifer
    mom to Kody 12-11-08
    and Kaeli 9-13-99

Default Re: question about block feeding and supply

It could be oversupply. Try block feeding for a few days. Start with a small block. Don't judge the effectiveness of it by what if feels like the change in your supply is. When I did block feeding, it felt like I had completely lost my supply, but it was the first time in weeks my LO finally had yellow poops instead of green. I think you get so used to engorgement and baby choking that when you get a reasonable supply, you thinkn something must be wrong. Keep track of wet/poopy diapers. Your LO will let you know if he is not getting enough!
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jkjk View Post
    He had also some mucuous in his stool and it was green and explosive but doesn't have that all the time.
    Are his stools always green and exlposive? If not, then I'm suspecting a dairy allergy. Have you tried to cut down on dairy products for a few weeks?
    You said it's not os so this is the only thing that comes to my mind.
    Last edited by @llli*pipi; March 17th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

I have had os issues with all 4 of my kids. The os issues began by 1 week old. I am not a lactation consultant at all, but by 3 months old, os issues tend to regulate, not begin to arise. So I would wonder if it was something you were eating. Just a thought. Good luck!
    Mom to Sweet Pea (7), Baby Cheeks (5), Snuggle Bug (1), and Little Guy (1 month)