Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: prone to clogged ducts and considering weaning

Default prone to clogged ducts and considering weaning

I'm exclusively pumping every 4 hours for 15mins. I seem to be prone to clogged ducts and recently got over mastitis. I am considering weaning, but I'm afraid of getting clogged ducts and mastitis again, and the pain of engorgement. Any advice?

Default Re: prone to clogged ducts and considering weaning

Mama, I'm sorry you're struggling. I think there are some things you can do that may help with the clogged ducts if you decide to continue to pump. First, see a lactation consultant (preferably one with the IBCLC credential) and make sure your pump is strong enough and also that the breastshields are correctly sized. Second, you may want to take soy lecithin- it's supposed to reduce the incidence of clogs. Third, you might want to pump with your breasts pointed down towards the floor in order to get gravity to help draw out the clogs. Fourth, you probably want to try kneading your breasts while pumping to force out the clogs.

If you decide to wean, it's very important to go slow. You don't want to just stop pumping all of a sudden, because that will lead to engorgement and more clogs and maybe mastitis. You could either go slightly longer between pumping sessions, or you could pump at the same intervals but for slightly shorter amounts of time. If you do choose this route, be alert for clogs and symptoms of mastitis, because they are more likely to crop up while you are weaning.

HTH, and good luck with whatever you decide!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pump-it-up-mama View Post
    I'm exclusively pumping every 4 hours for 15mins. I seem to be prone to clogged ducts and recently got over mastitis. I am considering weaning, but I'm afraid of getting clogged ducts and mastitis again, and the pain of engorgement. Any advice?
    How many ounces are you pumping per day? How old is your baby? I was prone to clog ducts in the beginning when I was EPing but I was producing way more milk than DS needed, so I was always engorged in the beginning. The problem seemed to settled down after a couple of months.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I get about 30-35 ounces a day, and my 3 month old daughter takes in about 5 oz every 4 hrs. I have been able to establish a good amount of reserve in my freezer. I just don't know what to do. I have to go back to work in two weeks and it is going to be difficult to pump. I feel kind of guilty considering weaning so early, but the clogged ducts and mastitis are frustrating.