Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: waiting for a poop

Default waiting for a poop

my son is 5 months old and he has gone a week and a half without a poop.he has many wet diapers a day though and is gainging weight.normally for him a poop everyday is the usual and they are very soft.i am bf only no formula.i have been giving him rice cereal for a month but he has had poops after eating it before.he is no more cranky then usual and doesn't seem in pain..he does pass gas easily also is there a food i can feed him to help like prunes?? is it normal for a bf to go this long without a poop? thanks

Default Re: waiting for a poop

It is normal for a EBF to go a while without poop since there is very little waste in BM. Rice cereal is known to make babies constipated so I don't know if that is what is going on or not. Prunes would help him go, it just depends on if your comfortable giving them to a baby so young. If he doesn't seem uncomfortable then it's probably fine IME. I'd keep an eye on it and see what happens in the next couple of days.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

It is normal for an exclusively BF baby to go that long, but with the intro of cereal that changes a lot. Cereal can definitely cause constipation. You could check out these tips here.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks for responding! My lo actually had a poop on his own this morning so no constipation i was never so happy to see poop!

Also if you didn't want to feed him prunes, you could just pear juice mixed with some water..that has always helped out my LO! I just read peaches does the trick also. Congrats to your LO!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Question Re: waiting for a poop

OMG. I was so excited to see this post. I mean, it's worrying about the no pooping part.. but my breastfed almost 6-month old has suddenly started no NOT poop.

He poops very regularly before, like almost after every single feed. Then suddenly he didn't go for the whole day on Friday (last was Thurs eve), Saturday morning was a very small amount, then quite a bit later in the day. Sunday was another no poop day (except for the very small amount in the morning). It's now Monday and he's still having clear diapers. His wet diapers are getting heavier tho. I've only recently started him on solids, he's eating potatoes n carrots and hates rice cereals. Is this normal?

That sounds exactly like my LO.(sorry i can't tell you if it is normal or not because this is my first baby so i'm just learning) But he used to go poop like everyfeed also untill a couple months ago it started slowing down to a poop a week maybe longer.he is only on rice ceral though..no other food..but it sounds like it is completely normal for babies their age from people i talk to and posts on here Good luck

Hi, Mamma.

I'm gonna try moving your post to the "Solids" forum to see if you can get even more replies.
    Carla
    LLL Leader