Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating for 7.5 month old

Default Relactating for 7.5 month old

Hi everyone,
    My name is Leah and I have a 7.5 month old boy. I stopped breastfeeding when he was 4 months, after I had surgery and had complications following (bleeding problems - they have discovered I have a bleeding disorder). I was medicated and advised to stop breast feeding. Anyway, I've been really struggling with the decision recently and have decided to relactate. I'm only 2 days into it and are expressing every 2 hours, taking domperidone, using a lact-aid and nipple shields. He won't latch on with out the nipple shields. Does anyone have any advice on how long it could take for my milk to being coming in? I've already noticed that my breasts have enlarged quite a bit, hopefully a good sign.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Relactating for 7.5 month old

The idea is that it can take as long as you haven't nursed. So... If you haven't nursed in 3.5 months, it could take as long as that to regain full milk supply. Could be less, could be more.

My breasts enlarged right before I started being able to manually express milk. I'm 18 days in to the relactation process and I just started being able to collect milk in the bottle while pumping 3 days ago (though I've collected almost 1/2 oz in 3 days!). It takes time, patience and dedication, all of which you seem to have.

Keep at it and you'll be there soon enough! The fact that he WILL latch is good. You will have to wean him from the shields once you have a bit of milk but that's a good sign that he'll latch!

Good luck! You've come to the right place for support! You can do it mama!

Felicia is right, very good info. Wishing you the best!!

My daughter will be 8 months old tomorrow and I have been trying to relactate for her for almost two weeks. I have just started being able to get a few drops out with my pump and with manuel expression. My daughter hasn't nursed since the middle of July so it had been just over 3 weeks when I started trying to relactate. I am hoping to have more to show for my efforts in the next week! I have also heard that it can take as long to build your supply back up as it has been since you stopped nursing. This time next week, I can tell you if it was true for me!

Good luck and keep at it. My daughter is still refusing to latch even with nipple shields so far, so you are ahead of me in the that department!

Good going 2Pinks! That's really exciting that you're seeing milk drops. I'm sure your daughter will get there with the latching on. Have you just been expressing? Someone else suggested filling a teat with milk and placing it over your nippe, or if you're using a lact-aid to put the tube in the hole of a teat and hold this over your nipple... it just may help her to get used to the feeding position. Who knows! Anything is worth a try!