Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you only nurse one side?!?

Thumbs up Re: Can you only nurse one side?!?

Thank you for the help...the kelly mom website gave me good info on milk blisters...Thank you!!!

Default Re: Can you only nurse one side?!?

Thrush sounds awful - how terrible that you have to struggle with this! Have you had a chance to talk to a doctor about it? I think a good one to ask would be your pediatrician - I am sure they come across this problem regulalry and can either advise you or send you to someone who has experience treating it.

I really wanted to address your question about 1-sided nursing though. My dd refused to nurse on my left side for over 3 months. I had a severely cracked nipple early on that left me with scar tissue on that side and a leaky nipple. When the pressure built even just a little in this breast and Ava started nursing, the milk squirted out with such force that she coughed and gagged. So she decided that she wasn't nursing there any longer. I tried to maintain some level of lactation by pumping on that side, but after a couple of months there was nothing going any longer. I looked funny, too: a tiny breast on the left and this huge mammary on the right <lol>. Anyway, after I had pretty much dried up on the left, I began nursing while lying down (dd decided the wasn't going to sleep in a cage, i.e. her crib, once I dropped the mattress) and we began co-sleeping and I nursed her like that. I relatched her on my left side and she worked it. Within a few days, I was lactating again on this side and I am no longer lopsided.
    Thus, you could easily take a nursing break on your troubled breast, give it time to heal and then try again. The milk will come back in!

Interesting! I am very glad you shared your story with me...that is encouraging! I am going to keep nursing both sides...but I am very glad to hear your story and keep it in the back of my mind! Thank you for taking the time!!!

Yep, that can 100% be done, I am testomony that it can!

We are still nursing at 27 1/2 months old from ONE breast!!! It started at around 8ish months when he desided he only wanted the one, and still going strong! Though am a little lopsided!

Hi
    "our son has never had any signs what so ever of having thrush"
    just thought I'll let you know.The baby doesn't necessarily show any signs of thrush, you still need to be treating both of you otherwise you might keep re-infecting each other.Did you treat him as well? Just an idea.

I had thrush with my twins and neither baby showed any signs, but it wouldn't clear up until we all 3 got treated with dactarin cream.

My dd also have had 'their own' breast from about 4 weeks on (I found it too difficult to remember who had which side last and my boy had trouble latching, so I needed my 'better hand to guide him).
    I currently feed both of them on the right, as I had a cut on the left that got infected and it was just too painful .but they are 13 month now and eating solids well, so that makes things a lot easier.
    Hope you'll get it sorted once and for all, thrush is soo painful, I still remember it well...

x Titania