Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I start formula?

Default Should I start formula?

At what point should I accept that bf may not work for me anymore and try using formula instead? My daughter is 8 months old, and I have been back to work full-time for almost 6 months. Pumping has been an on and off struggle for me most of the 6 months, and now I am at a point where I can barely get 8 oz after 3 sessions of pumping. My daughter sometimes drinks 12 oz while I am at work! I have tried fenugreek and am now taking a prescription to try to rebuild my milk supply, but after 3 days, I have not noticed an increase.
    I don't want to give up, but I also do not want to starve my child. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Should I start formula?

HI!
    I have a few.
    1st do you have a freezer supply? Can you supplement with you own milk when you have dips in supply? Working on a freezer stash can actually be a two fold benefit. Keeping one going could mean adding in extra pumping sessions like one at night before bed or one in the morning or simply just adding two at home on the weekends while at home. All extra milk can be added to your "Stash".
    2nd could you just add in one pumping session a day? Either at night or in the morning or possibly on the drive home? (Hooked in to the lighter unit in your car? A lot of pumps do this)
    3rd Try eating oatmeal in the morning. Every morning for Breakfast. Starbucks and Jamba Juice are both serving it now if you don't have time to make it at home.
    4th Don't give up! Even if you DO end up having to supplement, that is no reason to throw in the towel! Breastmilk is what's best for your child and you have come this far! Only 4 more months of pumping. 8oz a breastmilk a day while in care and still nursing while together in the evenings and on the weekends is still plenty of benefits. Don't think of it as an all or nothing thing. If you exhaust all your possibilities and you have to supplement for 4 months that is still WAY BETTER than your baby having to have the last 4 months of the 1st year be ALL formula. Keep at it. And be proud of your dedication.
    And right when your baby turns one, I'll be right here to have a Throw Away the Pump party with you!! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

How long are you away at work? Is your LO nursing during the night?

You won't starve your baby, she's have enough wet and dirty diapers? She's gaining weight? She looks healthy?

Are you giving small bottles with a slow flow nipple? A very common thing is for daycare providers to overfeed babies, not intentionally, but it's very easy to do. That may be something to look at, the average baby should take approx 1 -1.5 oz per hour your away. On the lower end of she nurses at night and on the higher end of she's sleeping a lot when she's with you.

Sorry so many questions, and the answer to your question is no, I think there are some other things you could that could help do before resorting to formula!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Don't give up! Even if you DO end up having to supplement, that is no reason to throw in the towel! Breastmilk is what's best for your child and you have come this far! Only 4 more months of pumping. 8oz a breastmilk a day while in care and still nursing while together in the evenings and on the weekends is still plenty of benefits. Don't think of it as an all or nothing thing. If you exhaust all your possibilities and you have to supplement for 4 months that is still WAY BETTER than your baby having to have the last 4 months of the 1st year be ALL formula.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If your baby drinks 12 oz at daycare, and only 4 of those oz are formula, you are still way ahead. And even if you did throw in the towel with the pump, and only breastfed at night and on weekends, you would still be giving your baby the very best. Congratulations on a job well done so far, and good luck with it in the future!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If your baby drinks 12 oz at daycare, and only 4 of those oz are formula, you are still way ahead. And even if you did throw in the towel with the pump, and only breastfed at night and on weekends, you would still be giving your baby the very best. Congratulations on a job well done so far, and good luck with it in the future!!!
    ITA....I was "one of those" moms they decide that my sanity was important and adding in extra sessions was going to drive me insane!!!!

So I started supplementing. But this is after I had switch pumps, changed pumping times, increased pumping time, ate oatmeal, took fenugreek, drank mother's milk tea, and increased my water...I tried everything everyone suggested...it did push it out a few weeks, but I had to for my own sanity...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I pumped until he was six and a bit months - but my three sessions a work day didn't yield more than a total of 3 oz (after all the pills, potions, tricks bells and whistles). Given the stress on me, the loss of my previously excellent relations with some co-workers, longer day to account for pump breaks etc I gave up. He is 10 months now and we still BF whenever I am home.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.