Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I giving too many solids?

Question Am I giving too many solids?

Hi ladies,
    I'm new to baby led solids and want to run my baby's schedule by you. I feel like she's started nursing less and refusing some nursing sessions after eating more solids and I'm a little concerned...yet, she's 8.5 mo. and I'm excited for her to be eating food if she's interested - just not substituting food for milk when she's hungry - kwim? Please give me some input if this looks like a good schedule for an 8.5 mo. old:

7-7:30 a.m. nurse

11 a.m. solid (usually fruit or veggie, or combo of both - 1-2 tablespoons at most)

11:30 5-6 oz. of EBM in bottle

3 - somtimes a snack (half piece of dry toast, rice cookie, banana)

3:30 - nurse

6:00 - sometimes dinner (pasta, veggie, cheerios)

6:30-7 nurse

8:30-9 nurse before bed

Nurse somewhere during the night - this is the feeding that she sometimes drops after eating dinner...

So, if she drops a feeding, she's down to only 5 feedings instead of 6 and she goes 4-5 hours between feedings...

Any thoughts?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Am I giving too many solids?

I always nurse and then offer solids (unless we nursed less then an hour before meal time - then I just go ahead and offer solids). If you switched around your nursing/bottle of EBM with solids like this:

11 5-6 oz. of EBM in bottle
    11:30 a.m. solid (usually fruit or veggie, or combo of both - 1-2 tablespoons at most)

3 - nurse
    3:30 - sometimes a snack (half piece of dry toast, rice cookie, banana)

6 nurse
    6:30-7 - sometimes dinner (pasta, veggie, cheerios)

Maybe that would work? Nursing before solids ensure that she is taking in a lot of milk. You may still be nursing the same number of times (and she may even drop a session) but she will in all likelihood be getting more per session because she's not full from solids, kwim?
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; March 12th, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

It sounds like you want to make sure that your baby gets enough breastmilk. As you know, breastmilk is the most important food for your baby at this time since it is a complete food. As the pp suggested, many moms nurse first and then offer the solids, like breastmilk for the meal and solids for dessert. It is exciting to see our LOs enjoy their food and learn a new skill. (It can make for some messy and cute photo ops as well!) Once solids are introduced around the middle of the first year, most babies will reduce their intake of milk to compensate for the solids they are eating. A guideline that may be helpful to you is that many babies are getting 75% of their nutrition from breastmilk and 25% of solids by the end of the first year. Solids are for learning and experimentation at this time with breastmilk still providing the bulk of the nutrition.
    Carrie
    LLL Leader

So, if she is down to nursing 5-6 times instead of her usual 6-8 times and is eating 3 small meals (or snacks) a day, does that sound right? Or is her eating out of balance?

I agree with nursing first...

One of the challenges that I have is that I can nurse her by 3:30 p.m. instead of giving her a second bottle at the daycare (which GREATLY helps my milk supply) but the daycare provider usually holds her off with a snack. Is that bad? It has seemed to work thus far, but I'm wondering if she's getting more filled up on the solids and less on my milk. Just want to make sure that I'm on track.

It feels like about 75% milk and 25% solids - so I guess I'm ok??

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

It sounds like offering solids before breastmilk and instead of another bottle so that your LO will nurse right away when you return is working for you. It is great that your DCP is working with you and trying to make it more likely that your LO will be ready to nurse, but still have her needs met. Could she maybe offer a distraction other than a snack or is your LO hungry at snacktime? Maybe offering to nurse before and after solids at home (as the meal with solids as dessert and nursing again to wash it down so to speak)? Is there another opportunity to nurse again at home as well? Does she comfort nurse? Could you offer a nursing "snack" when you drop her off in the morning?

I am mentioning these suggestions because it sounds like you are concerned. If things are working well for you and your LO's needs are being met, then there might not be a need for a change. I am only offering these suggestions as additional thoughts. You know what will work best for you and your family. You have already taken steps to maximize your milk supply and meet your LO's needs even while you are away which is not easy. You are doing a great job.
    Carrie
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Hi ladies,
    I'm new to baby led solids and want to run my baby's schedule by you. I feel like she's started nursing less and refusing some nursing sessions after eating more solids and I'm a little concerned...yet, she's 8.5 mo. and I'm excited for her to be eating food if she's interested - just not substituting food for milk when she's hungry - kwim? Please give me some input if this looks like a good schedule for an 8.5 mo. old:

7-7:30 a.m. nurse

11 a.m. solid (usually fruit or veggie, or combo of both - 1-2 tablespoons at most)

11:30 5-6 oz. of EBM in bottle

3 - somtimes a snack (half piece of dry toast, rice cookie, banana)

3:30 - nurse

6:00 - sometimes dinner (pasta, veggie, cheerios)

6:30-7 nurse

8:30-9 nurse before bed

Nurse somewhere during the night - this is the feeding that she sometimes drops after eating dinner...

So, if she drops a feeding, she's down to only 5 feedings instead of 6 and she goes 4-5 hours between feedings...

Any thoughts?
    My 9.5 months old eats more solids than that. In part because he won't nurse or take a bottle during the day - before or after solids, or in between.

He nurses twice (sometimes once, sometimes 3 times) during the night, nurses a little around 9:30 AM before I leave for work. Then it's like that - every day.

11:30-12 4 oz BM or formula based cereal, sometimes with 1/2 egg yolk.
    3:30 -4 pureed soup with chicken and various vegetables plus mashed avocado (only my mom can succeed in feeding him significant amount of that)
    7:30 - 4 oz BM based cereal plus fruit and yougurt.

9:30PM short nursing session before going to bed.

Olga

Thanks for the input. It just starts to change so much around this time. I am somewhat sad for the change, but excited, too to see my lo growing. It helps to hear what others do. I think I will stick with trying to nurse before solids, but still introducing things along the way...

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months