Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sinus infection while breastfeeding, what can I take?

Default Sinus infection while breastfeeding, what can I take?

Hi All,

I've come down with a sinus infection. I'm breastfeeding an 8 month old. Generally, when I'm not breastfeeding/pregnant, I take something homeopathic or over the counter if need be. Does anyone know if there's an OTC sinus infection remedy that's safe during breastfeeding?

Thanks!

Default Re: Sinus infection while breastfeeding, what can I take?

I don't know, but there are two sources you could check (in addition to your health care provider, but they don't always have accurate information):
    Lactmed database (google it)
    Dr. Thomas Hale, Medication and Mother's Milk (I think that's the name of it)-I think some LLL Leaders have this and can check it for you. I'd contact your local LLL Leader.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Here's a good resource.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hi-
    Sorry you're not feeling well. I used a neti pot while I was pregnant with a sinus infection and it cleared right up! It seems a bit strange but I'm telling you, it works!! My husband has terrible allergies and he uses it too. Check out this link but any brand works and you can get it at any drug store. Good luck!

Amy

http://www.sinucleanse.com/?source=g...eti&campaign=1

Sorry you're not feeling well! A sinus infection can take a lot out of a mamma.

I'd be happy to check a med's safety for you on Hale's website, although you might try just scrolling through yourself (might be quicker).

I could be mistaken, but doesn't it say somewhere on the Neti Pot instructions not to use with a sinus infection?

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I just got over a really bad sinus infection. I used grapefruit seed extract, LOTS of fluids, and ultimately had to use two courses of antibiotics. If you do go the antibiotic route, try to get some probiotics for both you and baby to prevent thrush. Good luck!

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Although it's not OTC, my doc prescribed a safe alergy med when I had one last year... IF you end up at the doc, that might be a possibility...
    to keep my sanity!

From what I understand, according to research, a neti pot is a perfectly safe and naturaly way to help treat and relieve symptoms from a sinus infection. As a registered nurse, we use saline in every surgery because it prevents and treats infection. I guess it's always best to check with your doctor or midwife but mine is a big fan of the neti pot. It worked for me.

Here's some info on WebMD on how it works:
    http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus...re-9/neti-pots