Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: info on breastfeeding beyond 1

Default info on breastfeeding beyond 1

Hi - I wasn't quite sure if I would continue breastfeeding my son after he turned 1, but I decided it was best for him to continue for awhile. Especially since his teething really seems to bother him and nursing seems to be the only thing that relaxes and soothes him.

I've tried to search for benefits of breastfeeding beyond 1, but can't find any substantial results. Does anyone know of a reliable website I can look at that will give me more info on the benefits of it?

Thanks!

Default Re: info on breastfeeding beyond 1

It's great that you're going to keep on nursing! I was sure I would wean my daughter when she turned 1, and I am SO GLAD I didn't. She's 3 now. Nursing saw her through teething, and developmental milestones, and illness. Just last week, she came down with the nastiest cold she's ever had, and she would not eat anything but breastmilk a few times a day. The night she spiked a 103 degree fever, Motrin brought her fever down, but it was the breast that soothed her misery and helped her go back to sleep.

Here are some of my favorite articles/abstracts on nursing past the first birthday:
    Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits
    Fat and Energy Contents of Expressed Human Breast Milk in Prolonged Lactation
    When to Wean

Also, it's worth noting that while the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nursing at least until 1 year, and as long thereafter as is mutually desired by both mother and child, the World Health Organization recommends nursing at least until the age of 2, and as long thereafter as is mutually desired.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It's great that you're going to keep on nursing! I was sure I would wean my daughter when she turned 1, and I am SO GLAD I didn't. She's 3 now. Nursing saw her through teething, and developmental milestones, and illness. Just last week, she came down with the nastiest cold she's ever had, and she would not eat anything but breastmilk a few times a day. The night she spiked a 103 degree fever, Motrin brought her fever down, but it was the breast that soothed her misery and helped her go back to sleep.

Here are some of my favorite articles/abstracts on nursing past the first birthday:
    Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits
    Fat and Energy Contents of Expressed Human Breast Milk in Prolonged Lactation
    When to Wean

Also, it's worth noting that while the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nursing at least until 1 year, and as long thereafter as is mutually desired by both mother and child, the World Health Organization recommends nursing at least until the age of 2, and as long thereafter as is mutually desired.
    This matches my experience too! I planned to wean DD2 at 1 year but found we weren't ready and there were still so many benefits to both of us in continuing. Good luck and we are here for support.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Another website with short articles full of useful facts:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html

Also, have you read the book How Weaning Happens?http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSepOct99p186.html
    I'm not recommending this to suggest you should wean - quite the opposite! It convinced me to nurse for about another year longer than I'd planned!

Good luck!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Thanks for all the info and support. They were very helpful articles! I think all the SO's and in-laws who are unsupportive about BF should read those articles too! I knew it was still beneficial, but just not how much and one article broke it down nicely!

Thanks again.

My hubby at first wasn't too keen about me breastfeeding our son past age 1 but being stubborn as I am, I just kept at it. I also explained to him the many benefits on continuing and that it wasn't going to hurt our son either. And after he saw how nursing has helped our son through teething, he realized it was still helpful.
    Even my own mother and in-laws questioned me about it but they have since given up on pestering me about it.