Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yo Baby

Default Re: Yo Baby

This page has some great info on yogurt vs. milk for babies, as well as when to start it for allergy prone babes:

Dairy for Baby FAQ

It states: "Why can I give my baby yogurt and cheeses but not whole cow’s milk?

Lactose is already broken down with the culturing of the yogurt or cheese and milk proteins are either removed or limited thus it is typically easier to digest; people with lactose intolerance often are be able to handle cheese and/or yogurt without trouble. The same is true for some people with a milk protein (either to the casein or the whey) allergy."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by jsmom
    If it's YoBaby, it's actually a Stonyfield Farms product (see: http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/YoBaby.cfm). It's all organic and there are several different lines - one of them even has 45% of a day's RDI of iron for infants/toddlers. My DS loves this stuff and has been happily chowing it since last November...... Some of the flavors contain berries, so we waited on those until after 12 months, but the peach, pear, banana and vanilla were all great from 9 months on!
    -linda
    Yes - you are right - it is Stonyfield Farms - i was wrong

Annie,

Thank you so much for doing a little research on that for me. I REALLY appreciate it. Funny, yesterday I walked into the living room and DH was watching this show called "How It's Made" and they were featuring yogurt!! It went into detail about how lactose intolerant people can most often eat yogurt because of the different enzymes and all that. Anyway, thought that was a neat coincidence!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

We give DD plain whole milk yogurt with pureed fruit or veggies stirred in (we buy the big container and spoon it out). She really likes it, and it has no added sugar (except the natural sugars in fruits and veggies). However, this choice does not contain additional iron or inulin, which are options with the yobaby product line.
    I had never even heard of inulin until reading this thread! I learn something new here every day.
    I think we started giving her yogurt around 8 months. She has no food allergies/sensitivities.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on