Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yo Baby

Default Yo Baby

This is a new (as far as i know) yougart product by Yoplait brand. It is formulated for baby's and has some GREAT flavors!! I asked the ped and he said it was fine as long as she could tolerate it. She gobbled it down. Just a thought for those of you doing solids!

Default Re: Yo Baby

If it's YoBaby, it's actually a Stonyfield Farms product (see: http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/YoBaby.cfm). It's all organic and there are several different lines - one of them even has 45% of a day's RDI of iron for infants/toddlers. My DS loves this stuff and has been happily chowing it since last November...... Some of the flavors contain berries, so we waited on those until after 12 months, but the peach, pear, banana and vanilla were all great from 9 months on!
    -linda
    Last edited by jsmom; August 25th, 2006 at 09:53 PM.

yea we have them at our commissary I am just waiting til Gavin is old enough to have em! hehe
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

You can get Stonyfield Farms whole milk yogurt plain or vanilla in big containers. I add pureed fruit to mine. Its cheaper to buy the big container and add fruit! And it is so good! It actually bums me out when Em eats it all and I don't get the last bite or two in the bowl.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

At what age would this be safe to try? Also, there was another thread out there about mom's being able to have yogurt even if baby had a milk sensitivty (because the enzymes are different I think??? ). Anyway, could a baby with a milk sensitivity try the YoBaby also?

TIA!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Ann
    You can get Stonyfield Farms whole milk yogurt plain or vanilla in big containers. I add pureed fruit to mine. Its cheaper to buy the big container and add fruit! And it is so good! It actually bums me out when Em eats it all and I don't get the last bite or two in the bowl.

Very true!! I don't know if it's just marketing or not, but the YoBaby stuff supposedly has some extra things in it (like the cereal one - but you can certainly just add cereal) like inulin and such that are supposed to be beneficial to babies. But absolutely, it's WAY more econmonical to buy the large containers. Also, I've found that the supply/demand balance on YoBaby isn't quite sorted out yet. All the stores out here tend to run out of YoBaby (especially the fruit and cereal variety) from time to time - and then it's for a week or so or more!

As to when you can offer it, we waited until somewhere in the 8-9 months range. But we were - thank heavens - lucky in that J had not shown any sensitivitites to any foods in my diet, so we had that going for us. His pediatrician gave the OK on yogurt at that point, so we tried it and he has loved it, which is great. Such a good source of calcium and protein....
    -linda

Quote Originally Posted by jsmom
    Very true!! I don't know if it's just marketing or not, but the YoBaby stuff supposedly has some extra things in it (like the cereal one - but you can certainly just add cereal) like inulin and such that are supposed to be beneficial to babies. But absolutely, it's WAY more econmonical to buy the large containers.
    I think Stoneyfield Farm puts the inulin in all their yogurts, including the whole milk plain.

The only place I've actually seen this yogurt is in the local Save On Foods, and that was just last night. The only flavour they had was vanilla. But I've been hearing about this stuff for over a year now (on the net from people in the US) so I'm not sure how "new" it is. *shrug*

The smaler yogurt containers are certainly more convienient! I personally prefer them even for my own yogurt because all you have to wash is the spoon. lol Yes I am lazy (at least when it comes to washing extra dishes!). And also around here sometimes it's not even cheaper to get the bigger yogurt contianers. Oh, and it's hard as heck to find any store that even carries full fat yogurt, so we sort of generally have to buy what's there, regardless of the size of container.

But of course there is the environmental concern with all the extra garbage from single serving yogurts. The big ones you can actally wash them out and reuse the container (which is what we do). So convieneice asside, the bigger containers are definatekt better.

As to age for yogurt...you'll really hear different things dependig on who you talk to. The book Todler's First Steps that I was given at the local Health Unit says yogurt can be introduced btwn 6 and 9 mo. I have heard from other moms that it is better to wait until at least 9 mo for all diary including yogurt. In cases where a baby already has a sensitivity to milk protien, I think it would be better to wait until 12 mo, but of course wait much longer on actual cow's milk.

how much sugar is in the yo baby?
    Ive only gotten it one time and my older kids didn't like it.
    They are used to the kind with too much sugar in it.
    but I figure they can have a little bit of sugar to get the good stuff thats in it.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    how much sugar is in the yo baby?
    Ive only gotten it one time and my older kids didn't like it.
    They are used to the kind with too much sugar in it.
    but I figure they can have a little bit of sugar to get the good stuff thats in it.
    I just looked some over at the store and it has sugar as the second ingredient (16 grams) ... organically milled sugar ... but still sugar. I'd rather start her with something that doesn't have any sugar in it. And isn't it wise for babies with dairy sensitivities to wait on all dairy products until 12 months? What do you gals think?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon