Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Everything is changing :o(

Question Everything is changing :o(

I've been breast feeding my son for almost 9 months and I'm pregnant again. I'm just changing over to the second trimester, and I have noticed that my son is not eating like he used to. I've heard that the milk changes flavors during the second trimester, so I'm assuming that is the problem. I can tell that he wants to nurse because he has increased the amount of bf time, however, he isn't swallowing except maybe 3 or 4 times at the beginning.

I've given him solids, but he doesn't eat much unless he is really interested. But for the most part he'll take several bites and then he's done. I would guess he isn't even eating half a tablespoon.

It seems to me that this is perfect time to switch to a more "solid" approach. I know that I have to start giving him formula, but I'm going to assume that he WON'T take it, because he wouldn't in the past. He will sip from a cup, but that is about it. If my kiddo decides NOT to take formula, what do I do? What is a well-balanced diet?
    Chrissy, wife of Nathan , mother to Gentry(6.16.08), and has one on the way.

Default Re: Everything is changing :o(

I feel for you mama! I am also in my 2nd trimester and I'm having trouble with not having enough milk for my DS. My DS will not take formula at all no matter what brand and I've tried: cows milk, soy milk, rice milk, goats milk and he won't take any of that either. Finally I found something he will drink: Lactaid whole milk (only 2-4 oz. a day). I wasn't going to introduce this until after he was a year old but I'm kind of backed into a corner. My DS is also very picky about solids. At about 8.5-9 months he finally started eating solids. We found out that he LOVES yogurt and we mix all sorts of fruits and veggies with this so he will eat a well balanced meal. The only protein he will eat is chicken. I don't know if this helps this has just been my experience with my picky eater. Lots of for you. It is sooooo frustrating!!!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

I appreciate the support. At least I'm not the only one. Hope things get better for you too. How come only 2 to 4 oz of the milk substitute a day? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Solids alone aren't enough at 9 months. Breastmilk (or formula) should continue to be a considerable part of a baby's diet until around a year when solids can take on a more front burner role. There tummies are just so tiny that there aren't enough vitamins/fats/nutrients in solids alone at this age You can certainly increase the amount of solids so that your child is getting lots of good food - but I wouldn't rely on solids alone at this age. Iron deficiency is a big concern when babies don't get breastmilk or formula, as well as fat intake, proper nutrition, etc.

Is there a milk bank where you can get breastmilk?

Have you spoken to a pediatrician? He/she may be able to refer you to a nutritionist who can help you find a proper supplement
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chrissy.t View Post
    I appreciate the support. At least I'm not the only one. Hope things get better for you too. How come only 2 to 4 oz of the milk substitute a day? Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I come up short of BM everyday. I still try and provide BM as the major source of my baby's diet since I'm am still able to produce BM just not as much as I used to. I just try and supplement the bare minimum since I want to make it at least a year BF. I'm not ready to let go of that BF relationship yet and I feel so much better about feeding him as much BM as I can. I feed him 2-4oz. Lactaid before bedtime because I just have no BM left to give him then. Good Luck! It is so hard being pregnant and trying to BF when your supply is going away!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

There's also a great forum here called "Pregnant and Breastfeeding" and I'm sure the mama's in that section will have some great info to pass along as well
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Well thanks to all for helping me during this challenging time.

I'm going to try to get the supply back up with my mason jar of 1 cup dried oat meal, a lil honey, and boiling water. I've used it before to boost the milk, I'm hoping it will work again.

My kiddo has decided that he does want to breast feed, seems he is willing to accept the change of flavor.

Thanks again!

How are things going? Anything else we can do for you?
    Carrie
    LLL Leader