Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: International average age to stop breastfeeding?

Talking International average age to stop breastfeeding?

Is anybody able to direct me to a reputable/respected online souce (I've tried the WHO and UNICEF but had no luck) which states what the international average age to stop beastfeeding altogether is? I've heard it is between 4 and 5 but would like a source of reference. If the source also discusses the benfits of continuing to breastfeed until this time that would be very helpful.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by @llli*chtb2009; March 11th, 2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: International average age to stop breastfeeding?

This might be helpful: When to Wean by Katherine Dettwyler
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Very interesting. THanks for sharing.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

have you looked in the International Breastfeeding Journal? Here's the link: http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/

Kellymom is a very respected breastfeeding resouce site. Here is a fact sheet on extended breastfeeding: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Here are some that might be helpful:
    Another publication of Dettwyler's (although this is a book and not an online source):Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives

List of studies supporting her publications:
    http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detrefs.html

Long list of studies in support of benefits of "extended" bfing (The link is to the kellymom website, but the citations are to reputable scientific research published in journals like The Lancet and Pediatrics) You could search PubMed for more specific information about any of the studies cited.
    Another list of such studies is found here. Some of these relate to the benefits of bf generally and not necessarily to longer-term bfing, but if you search through them you will find that many link the benefits to a longer duration of bfing.

Fat and Energy Contents of Expressed Human Breast Milk in Prolonged Lactation

Review article: Protection against infections has been well evidenced during lactation against, e.g., acute and prolonged diarrhea, respiratory tract infections, otitis media, urinary tract infection, neonatal septicemia, and necrotizing enterocolitis. There is also interesting evidence for an enhanced protection remaining for years after lactation against diarrhea, respiratory tract infections, otitis media, Haemophilus influenzae type b infections, and wheezing illness. In several instances the protection seems to improve with the duration of breastfeeding. A few factors in milk like anti-antibodies (anti-idiotypic antibodies) and T and B lymphocytes have in some experimental models been able to transfer priming of the breastfed offspring. This together with transfer of numerous cytokines and growth factors via milk may add to an active stimulation of the infant's immune system. Such an enhanced function could also explain why breastfeeding may protect against immunologic diseases like celiac disease and possibly allergy. Suggestions of protection against autoimmune diseases and tumors have also been published. Hanson LA. "Breastfeeding provides passive and likely long-lasting active immunity. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1998 Dec;81(6):523-33; quiz 533-4, 537
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

....great article and very timely for me.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Smile Re: International average age to stop breastfeeding?

Wow, this is all really helpful, thank you so much! x