Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about this co-worker?

Default Re: What do you think about this co-worker?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This makes Bertha's behavior seem all the more ridiculous. You're cleaning the grotty public fridge weekly? When the average shared fridge is cleaned only when the mold has evolved to the point that it's applying for a job in hospital administration? Bertha should be down on her knees thanking you.

And I also agree that "Bertha" should be reported to HR. Not. Cool.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

for your hard work pumping.

Problems will never be solved if the people who have the ability to solve the problems never hear about them. So, definitely bring this to the appropriate personnel's attention (probably HR) and work with them to get a remedy. That being said, be willing to compromise. I would be sensative to how others perceive breastmilk in a common area, rightly or wrongly. Have you tried putting the milk in another bag/container so that people won't know what is inside?

I had a co-worker at one time whose wife did daycare out of their home. He was commenting about how one of the mothers brought ebm for her baby. He was grossed out that his wife just threw it in their freezer with the rest of their food. Another co-worker mentioned that his wife should get a dark container to store it in in the freezer for his peace of mind. She then went on to say that he apparently did not know that her bm was in the shared refrigerator here at work with everyone else's food every day. She just put it in a dark container and no one knew what was in there. For some reason, that did not seem to bother anyone as much as the thought of bags of milk touching things in the fridge did.

Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I am just shocked and have no response. How could a nurse and a LandD unit be so uneducated???????????????????????????????? I am so sorry you have to go through this and hope that it works out in your favor!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Please tell me that Bertha is not a nurse in the L&D unit (or anywhere). Because I'm sure she's doing just doing a bang up job helping her patients breastfeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.2.2 View Post
    Bertha is not only a nurse, but a supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post

You definitely need to report Bertha to HR.
    I'm sorry you're going through this, mama!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

From this link
    http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/faq/index.htm

"Are special precautions needed for handling breast milk?
    CDC does not list human breast milk as a body fluid for which most healthcare personnel should use special handling precautions. Occupational exposure to human breast milk has not been shown to lead to transmission of HIV or HBV infection. However, because human breast milk has been implicated in transmitting HIV from mother to infant, gloves may be worn as a precaution by health care workers who are frequently exposed to breast milk (e.g., persons working in human milk banks)."

If the CDC says it's not a bodily fluid -- who is Bertha to say it is? She is in dire need of education regarding breastmilk, storage, confidentiality and additionally supervisory skills.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Please tell me that Bertha is not a nurse in the L&D unit (or anywhere). Because I'm sure she's doing just doing a bang up job helping her patients breastfeed.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Can you maybe pick up a nylon lunch bag? They're lightweight and can just roll up in your purse.

Something like this looks appropriate in a fridge, will allow the EBM to keep cold and will keep prying eyes out of your business.

I agree that Bertha needs to be educated by HR.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and