Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this co-worker?

Default What do you think about this co-worker?

Okay, so I have been working at this particular hospital for 2 yrs now. I've never had a problem everyone I work with is wonderful and I love my job. I have a 10 mth old daughter who I am continuing to nurse after many hurtles. I work 12 hour shifts, so, of course, I pump at work. Okay, so, when I get to work I carry my "pump" bag, my purse, and my lunch bag in with me. For those of you who work in hospitals you probably know the walk I make each time I come and go from work. It's not a short walk to say the least. Anyway, when I pump around 11 I store my milk in a storage bag labeled with my name, date, and amount. Sometimes I also have a little in a storage bottle as well labeled accordingly. I hide it behind condiment items that are on the door so it's not visible to others unless something is moved. I do this because, everyone shoves their lunch bags in the refrigerator and often my own lunch bag is folded, swished, etc. because of it and I don't want my milk to spill or leak. When I pump again at 5:30, I use my lunch bag to store all the milk I've pumped for the day and leave it in my locker until I leave. Okay, so I've been back to work for almost 7 mths now and just yesterday a supervisor called me and told me that I can't store my milk in there because "bodily fluids can't be mixed with their food." I simply said okay and immediately called the lactation consultant in the hospital for her advise. She, of course, didn't know of any policy stating that I couldn't store it there and referred me to an HR Consultant. The day goes on and I've just decided to deal with this tomorrow (today) since I have the day off. It wasn't very long and a fellow employee came up to me and asked if (we'll call her Bertha) Bertha said anything to me about my milk. I said yes and asked how she knew. Oh well, Ms. Bertha had a discussion in the lunch room about how disgusting it was to have my milk in the frig and that it's like having urine in there with their food. Okay so now I'm furious. I have made several calls today and haven't received a response yet since it's not a common problem I was told it could take a few days. Am I taking this too far? Should I just shut my mouth, carry another bag to store it, and deal with it? Sorry this is soooo long, but I had to vent! Oh and by the way...I work on the Labor and Delivery unit!

Default Re: What do you think about this co-worker?

OMGosh! I feel so bad for you. I also work in a hospital and my DS is 10 months old and I have been pumping since returning to work and my supervisor has never said anything like that to me and I work in the lab where we deal with blood/body fluids all the time. I do carry my BM in the small cooler that came with my breast pump and it has a coolant that fits in it also. I just leave my BM with my pump. I'm not sure if you could do this. The only reason I do it this way is because it is the most convenient for me. That was so inappropriate! I can't believe she was discussing this in the lunch room! Lots of for you mama!!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Mama, I'm so sorry this happened to you! And in L&D, too, where people should know better.

First of all, "Bertha" is a . Your breastmilk is like urine? Only if cow's milk is like cow urine. In your shoes, I'd be strongly tempted to fill a sample cup with apple juice, label it with the word "urine" and nestle it up against her lunch bag.

So, should you just cede the fridge and bring an ice chest for your milk? Well, honestly I think the answer is yes- but not because breastmilk is gross and you should hide it away like it's shameful. I think you might want to find a different way to store your milk because refridgerators are gross. DH once asked a microbiologist friend of ours what the dirtiest place in the house is, expecting that he would say "The toilet, duh!" Instead, he said "It's the fridge, man. You don't even want to think about what's growing in there."

But you should not have to cede the fridge to the anti-breastmilk bigots. They are wrong and you are right, you did exactly the right thing to go to HR, and hopefully HR will come up with an appropriate, family-friendly policy. If there's any justice in the world, you'll get a brand new, spanking clean fridge with a sign on the door that says "Breastmilk only, no food. And that means you, Bertha."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, your coworker has issues. People are so dumb. Do you have a special nursing mothers room in the hospital? Could you talk to someone about getting a mini-fridge in there? At my workplace we have a little fridge in all the nursing mothers rooms. Honestly, I know where I work the regular refrigerators are pretty gross and I wouldn't want to put my milk in there.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I clean this frig minimum once a week myself. Cavacide is my best friend! That doesn't mean the frig is free of all bugs, but since I've been putting my milk in there, I've made it a point to clean it frequently. I don't have room in my bag for cooler/bag or trust me I would have done it. We do have nursing rooms in our hospital, however, they are on the other side of the huge hospital I work in. It's not on my way in or out unfortunately. Not that I'm making an excuse not to do this for my child, but one, I shouldn't have to and more importantly, this takes out time from what little time I have with my kids before and after work. I am working on getting a small frig in there for breastmilk and urine (haha j/k) only. Even if I have to bring my own there and plug it in. My husband would like it if I would just simply get a cooler to add to my already large load and leave it alone, but I feel as if I need to be a voice. And, maybe a little part of me (okay maybe a big part) wants to prove the facts.

to you. Bertha is a moron.

Please tell me that Bertha is not a nurse in the L&D unit (or anywhere). Because I'm sure she's doing just doing a bang up job helping her patients breastfeed.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Bertha is not only a nurse, but a supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.2.2 View Post
    Bertha is not only a nurse, but a supervisor.

You definetly need to report Bertha to HR.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.2.2 View Post
    I clean this frig minimum once a week myself. Cavacide is my best friend! That doesn't mean the frig is free of all bugs, but since I've been putting my milk in there, I've made it a point to clean it frequently.
    This makes Bertha's behavior seem all the more ridiculous. You're cleaning the grotty public fridge weekly? When the average shared fridge is cleaned only when the mold has evolved to the point that it's applying for a job in hospital administration? Bertha should be down on her knees thanking you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"