Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 19 months, stomach bug, hasn't eaten solids in a week

Default 19 months, stomach bug, hasn't eaten solids in a week

my daughter got sick last Wednesday (today is Tuesday). She was vomiting and pooping loose stools for 3 days, then we gave her a shot that the doctor recommended to stop the vomiting and she was MUCH more sad, but not throwing up, for two days. Now its been another two days and she is retaining what she takes in, and pooping breast milk poo, but does not want to eat and solids. I've been giving her ginger ale, she doesn't want saltines.

We live in rural southern Mexico and all of the Mamas and Grannies that surround us share the belief that breast milk is now "water" and does not provide sustenance. This is my primary question.

Also, how long is too long for her normal appetite not to return?

Also, does anyone out there have recommendations regarding vaccines in tropical climes? I read Aviva Jill Romm's book and we haven't given her any vaccines, but this ain't souther Georgia either.

Help? Thank you!

Default Re: 19 months, stomach bug, hasn't eaten solids in a week

I'm sorry your baby is sick! But don't worry: breastmilk is the best thing you can give her. Contrary to the opinion of mamas and grannies, breastmilk does not magically transform into water at 1 year and 1 day. That's just an old wives' tale.

How long is too long for normal appetite to return? I don't know. My 3 year-old has been sick for over a week and has hardly eaten anything, and seems just fine. I think that as long as your baby is nursing and seems happy enough- not lethargic, not crying inconsolably- you can just wait the sickness out and not worry about her appetite that much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is she nursing? How often? As the previous poster said it doesn't change into water... keep up the nursing it is the best thing for her.

For what it's worth my son had roseola when he was about 1 year. Didn't eat for close to 7 days thank goodness I was nursing. He lost a pound but the doc reassured me it was the breastmilk that kept him well even while he was so sick.

Here's some information regarding extended breastfeeding.

breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues.

Some info regarding nursing while baby is sick.

Anytime a sick baby is able to take anything by mouth, it should be his mother's milk. Mom's milk provides antibodies specifically tailored to fight baby's illness, and is quickly and easily digested.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'm sorry your baby is sick! But don't worry: breastmilk is the best thing you can give her. Contrary to the opinion of mamas and grannies, breastmilk does not magically transform into water at 1 year and 1 day. That's just an old wives' tale.

How long is too long for normal appetite to return? I don't know. My 3 year-old has been sick for over a week and has hardly eaten anything, and seems just fine. I think that as long as your baby is nursing and seems happy enough- not lethargic, not crying inconsolably- you can just wait the sickness out and not worry about her appetite that much.
    I agree

dr sears has a great vaccine book...maybe if you sent him an email he would be willing to talk with you?

http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccine...d_vaccines.asp

dd had a stomach bug last week too and it took her a few days to eat any solids, and even now is slowly getting back into the swing of things. She passed it on to me a few days after she got it and after taking over a week for my stomach to recover, I see why she didn't want any solids. BM is great for her because it is both good nutrition and comforting when feeling sick & will help give her any immunity you've built up as well. Keep up the good work! As far as the milk turning to water, you don't see cows go from producing whole milk to giving skim milk or water as their calves get older- where do people get this stuff from?
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

thank you so much to all of you for your words. she ate a bit yesterday and today seems to be eating a bit more.

things seem so scary sometimes.

all the best to everyone from Jaltipan.