Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I set limits with my son?

Default Re: How do I set limits with my son?

YES! I have had those "attached to the breast all day" days frequently!!! I can sympathise at least in part.

I haven't gotten the book yet but I have tried some distraction yesterday and today. It's been harder because of the rain/cold we're having because my main distraction has been going outside. He LOVES to go outside and doesn't care about nur-nur then. But trying to distract him has proven difficult. If I catch him before he gets too insistant then it is better but once he gets in that mind set it's too late and he's arching his back! I try to say, "Let's kiss and cuddle!" but that contact makes him want to nurse more.

Thanks to this forum and just getting a minute to read other posts and advice has helped me tremendously. Thanks again mamas!!!!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I think part of all the nursing marathon is due to winter, I live north of Toronto, going outside is not an option most days. I've been organizing play dates with friends but the 1st 4 weeks of DD#2 DD#1 was sick, cold after cold so we've been inside for too long! I'm so looking forward to summer!!

Elliott seems to go through phases of nursing more and then less. He still wakes up in the middle of the night to nurse and still nurses once to twice in the mornings before getting up. He'll be 2 this month.

Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility. ~ Kate Douglas Wiggin

I love your ID elliots24-hourdiner!!!

That's what I feel like too but my son is Evan. He nurses nights too. Some times ALL night like last night

So the last month it's been ALL day and frequently ALL night. I sometimes don't know how much more I can take. I had a little break down the other night and vented to my poor husband who had no idea how to respond to my torn feelings. As little idea as I have on how to deal with them. I some times think I have GOT to wean this kid! But I know he's not ready and I would never push him into it. It's hard but then I look at his little smiling one dimpled face and know it's all worth it.

lasbi.modeu- I think we're in the same boat though we live in TX. It's been cold or raining or both on and off the last few weeks and staying inside gets boring so maybe he nurses b/c there are no other distractions. I'm sure we're all looking forward to spring!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I think the guilt is normal.. I still experience it when I tell my 21 month old no... Since I got pregnant I cut her down to twice a day.. I just can't do it any more than that. She asks an additional 1-3 times a day and now I just say no.. you can nurse before bed and then I offer her a cup of milk or a snack or offer to read to her etc. When she was around 15-16 months and still nursing 4-5 times a day I cut her down to 3 times day doing the same thing... distraction and I would say..later.. you can nurse later.. before you nap or before bed or when you wake up etc... I think if I didn't do this she would just nurse and hardly eat food.
    Figure out which nursing sessons are the most important and keep those.. then slowly cut out the others.. He might through a fit but he will catch on. Just remember its okay to set limits on nursing with toddlers that are eating a decent amount of food!!! I know its hard.. I am thinking about weaning my toddler when she turns 2 and I feel guilty.. but then I remind myself how great I have done nursing her this long, nursing her excusively etc etc..

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I''m lucky enough to have 10 and 7 year old daughters who are willing to distract the 19month old for me. They will take her out side to watch for the neighbors' cats in the window, or read her a book if it's too cold outside. My hubby will take her to give her a bath...that always works!!

Good luck!