Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I'm doing this right???

Question I think I'm doing this right???

So I hope to be done breastfeeding at the end of the month. My dd will be 18 months next week.

To start the weaning process on my end, I've started cutting back feedings. With the help of my DH, we're distracting her by playing outside or giving her snacks. (cheese, yogurt, etc.) Other times, I just let her throw her mini-fits and give her her pacifier.

Then I let her nurse right before bed and no more than one time in the middle of the night.

This is my plan for the next week or so. Then hopefully we can cut out one of the night feedings altogether. And eventually all.

I'm kind of sad to see my dd grow up so fast. It only seems like yesterday I was struggling to BF my newborn...now I'm still nursing an 18 month old! But I'm also ready to move on with this part of our lives. And I also need to start taking some meds to get my adult acne under control. I've been dealing with acne for over 10 years now and I'm ready to take some action...

Am I doing the weaning thing right IYO? It seems to be working so far, but it's only been Day 1 of the restricted feedings until bedtime.

She throws a sippy of whole milk at me if I try to offer one to her instead. So maybe more cheese and yogurt will work. She drinks a whole sippy of whole milk each day at daycare. I guess she just wants the "fresh" stuff when she's with me...
    Last edited by @llli*caramel-allie; March 10th, 2009 at 07:01 AM.
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: I think I'm doing this right???

It depends on whose opinions you want. I believe that LLL's (the organization itself) position would be to do it even more gently than that. Did you read How Weaning Happens and Mothering Your Nursing Toddler? I've usually heard from LLL leaders the recommendation "don't offer; don't refuse," distraction, like you said, and involving dad in the process, like you are doing.
    My opinion, though, is it seems like you are doing it gradually and lovingly. I allowed my daughter to cry for "mama" in my arms for a few minutes when I was night weaning her, but never by herself. We also used a pacifier. I think that if you cut out feedings slowly and keep giving her lots of "other mothering" that weaning will happen fairly soon without doing damage to either of you.
    I just want to mention, though, that I thought I wanted to wean my 21 month old dd about 2 months ago. Then I examined my reasons and read the books that I mentioned above. I really enjoyed them and they caused me to look more closely at my reasons for wanting to wean. I really recommend them.
    Your needs are important, too, though!
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

that it sounds like she may not be quite ready yet mama. Could you stretch it out a few more weeks for her comfort? I haven't BTDT either, but if she's getting really upset...I would think more along the lines of "don't offer, don't refuse", so if the distraction/snack isn't working, do you still nurse her?

You mention that you want to be done by a certain date, but remember that your DD doesn't know that this date is looming, she is just wanting to carry on as things are, so I would think the more gradual, the better.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

This is hard for both me and my dd. But I really feel the need to wean, both for my sanity and to treat my acne with medication that I can't take. Yes, I've read and own "How Weaning Happens" but it didn't really give me what I was looking for.

My dd may not seem ready, but day 2 (yesterday) wasn't half bad. We distracted her again with snacks and playing. She really didn't "ask" or pull up my shirt until it got late (around 7ish). Then we began bedtime routine (bath, snack, book, nurse, bed). It was nice to nurse her then. And I nursed her two more times during the night.

I need a suggestion on how to prevent getting breast infection though. My breasts were getting really painful to the touch and getting those lumps. I did have to manually express them once around 5pm because they were hurting and getting hard.

I'm terrified I'm going to get an infection. But I do really need to wean. The reasons may feel selfish but 18 months was my original goal and I'm very proud of it! I think things will get easier with my daughter as times goes along. I realize she doesn't understand her time is almost up but that's more for me than her.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm going to stick to the nursing only at nighttime for now. Weekends when she's with me all day might be another story though...so we'll see!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

I think it's recommended to drop one feeding per day every 4-7 days. That way it gives your breasts a chance to figure out what's going on. If done too quickly the breasts could become engorged which could lead to other issues.

If you are feeling discomfort, I would suggest expressing just enough to feel comfortable.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I'm assuming you are going to go on accutane for your acne. I am on a different regimen of acne meds that have helped me tremendously (all prescription) b/c my LO was too little to wean in order for me to go on accutane. If you want to know what I'm on and what helped me PM me.