Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasingly feeling the need to wean

Default Re: Increasingly feeling the need to wean

Thanks so much for all the responses. A little bit from each of you equals a lot of good support for me.

I am taking all of this in and gradual is best. And after reading the article Mommal posted on international average of weaning, it reinforces that I don't want to do anything before Norah is ready.

I am trying the "ask nicely" bit and she either doesn't understand or is not willing at this point. She is so crazy. She'll be repeating, "Mursh, mursh, mursh...while tugging on my shirt and if I don't say or do anything she grabs my face and makes eye contact and says what I'm supposed to say, "okay, okay, okay!" What am I going to do with this little Pepper!?

I feel like the Mama who cries wolf, I keep saying I'm gonna wean her and I know I'm not ready.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    I am trying the "ask nicely" bit and she either doesn't understand or is not willing at this point. She is so crazy. She'll be repeating, "Mursh, mursh, mursh...while tugging on my shirt and if I don't say or do anything she grabs my face and makes eye contact and says what I'm supposed to say, "okay, okay, okay!" What am I going to do with this little Pepper!?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Well, you've received some great advice already and you have good instincts and the guts to follow them, so you've got that going for you!
    One thing stuck out to me in your OP-I suggest not worrying about her nursing until she's 5 at this point. That's a long way off and so much can change.
    If you feel ready to wean her, then do it! I'd just say, take it slowly. Setting limits is the first step and might make you feel a whole lot better and you might not feel the need to take the next step (total weaning) until later.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Christy--I'm right there with you. But having nursed through this age and then onto 3 , I can tell you it will get better and worse and better and worse again and again. So I applaud you for making it this far and encourage you to be gentle (which I know you will) and realize it is a phase and that a better time for distracting will come and soon. I can see that with Waylon--his ability to understand is growing with leaps and bounds and its only a matter of time before he has an understanding of time, and I'm srue Norah is closer than he to that. Once they can comprehend time, they can understand that when Mama says "not now" she doesn't mean, "not ever".

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I weaned ds2 in blocks of time. He was nursing on demand around the clock and has a very demanding personality. I decided to do no nursing until after 10 a.m., then in a few weeks/months moved it to no nursing until after 12 a.m. etc.... Be sure to offer something else when she is demanding to mursh .....offer a drink of her favorite cup beverage, offer a snack, offer to read a book, offer a piggy back ride (this gives them physical contact but they can't nurse while on your back).

I discovered through our weaning process that my los and I had to learn new ways to stay connected. They still needed physical comfort from me.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.