Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: crying over milk

Default crying over milk

I am not sure where to put this so I will start here. My DS occasionally will cry and arch and shake his head when we are feeding him BM, (I am pumping and bottle feeding) and so we will try to give him formula (Neutramigin) and he will take that with out fussing and I cannot figure out why. I don't have a liptase issue that we can taste and it does not happen every feeding or every day. As for taste, Neutramigin tastes disgusting and I could not swallow it. Sometimes after a bit of formula we will offer the BM and he will drink it fine. I hate giving him formula but when he is crying and acting like the milk is poisoning him we don't know what else to do. He would do that a lot more before I discovered his food sensitivities but he has been doing well since then. I just cannot figure it out and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you!
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

Default Re: crying over milk

Does he only cry and arch and shake his head when you BF, or is it even when he is bottle feeding BM as well?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Unfortunatly he never took to BF. He was a little early and then jaundice and my breast made a nice pillow or a good place to throw a fit when we were working on the initial BF relationship. I worked with an LC at the time but it got too stressful for both of us so I gave up, which I now regret, and just pump and bottle feed. I kept trying for the 9 weeks I was off but he never was interested.

I love and.

He could be sensitive to something you are eating. You should check the allergy forums and maybe you'll find out some more good info. I know dairy in mom's diet can be a huge culprit, but I don't have much experience with it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I have thought about that but I have already identified his sensitivities to dairy, soy, and nuts and I have eliminated them from my diet and read every label on any packaged foods I do eat. I guess some can sneak in but I would wonder if in such small quantities it would be a bother to him.

I love and.

Could it be even one more? I hope it's not, I just know from reading some allergy mamas posts that they can have a hard time.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Though you've likely checked this, my 6 month old does this when my DH doesn't get the bottle to the right temperature. He's become quite particular about it. But I do agree with pp'ers that your LO may be reacting to something he tastes in your milk that he isn't so excited about.

Since he'll take the BM after having a bit of the formula, that to me means that he likes the taste.

Can you maybe try to give him a bit of a break? Stop, sit him up, burp him, then try again? My LO sometimes stops 5 or 10 minutes into a feeding with arching and crying. I sit her up and burp her, I talk to her a bit and she happily settles back in and nurses. Maybe it will work for you too.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and