Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tugging at Breast

Default Tugging at Breast

Is anyone else's baby tugging at your breast while they eat? I'm thinking he does this when he's not getting enough milk? A few times I have had to give him some saved breast milk from a bottle after I b/f because I don't seem to have enough. He only eats up to 4 oz in one sitting. When I pump sometimes I get only 3 oz but I have gotten up to 5 oz. I'm wondering if I need to take fenugreek again. That helped my milk supply. Or is it completely unrelated. All I know is it isn't fun to have him tugging on my nipple like that! Ouch!

Default Re: Tugging at Breast

It may not be your supply necessarily but slow milk flow.

Have you tried breast compressions when your lo starts tugging to start the flow again?

My LO tugs often, especially when milk flow slows down but now more recently because she's getting distracted by the interesting world around her
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kalynasmom View Post
    It may not be your supply necessarily but slow milk flow.

Have you tried breast compressions when your lo starts tugging to start the flow again?

My LO tugs often, especially when milk flow slows down but now more recently because she's getting distracted by the interesting world around her
    I would try breast compressions.

I also agree that your supply is probably fine. I would let him nurse more if he will instead of giving him the exspressed breast milk. This will help your supply if needed.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I had this same problem recently with my four month old. Thank goodness he has no teeth yet! (Not sure where I read this method but...) I did find that it helped to watch him closely and see if he looked like he was changing his hold on the nipple. When he was about to clamp down I have two choices depending on where he is in the feeding, put my finger in between his gums quickly to take him off or bring him closer to breast.

I think he was doing it 100% because of distractions from other voices. Background noise in general wasn't a big deal, but if someone started talking to me, he could tell and would pull off. I think there is a developmental thing where they start turning their heads toward voices and not just loud sounds....

Well anyway, I am surely no expert. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Elizabeth,
    DS Nathan 01/04/05 Nursed for 11 Months
    DS Calvin 10/20/08 Made it to 1,6,8,12Weeks and going strong!
    I'm Elizabeth
    Mommy of Nathan 1/4/05 for 11 months.
    Mommy of Calvin 10/20/08 Made it past 8 Weeks and still going strong!

My Lo just started doing this about a month ago. Very annoying isnt it?
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

How old is your baby? 4oz is nothing to feel bad about, that's actually a lot. Supply sounds just fine to me! How are diapers?

I'm thinking distractible baby! Compressions, laying in a dim room, turning off the tv/lowering noise, those things might help.

Thanks ladies! Yeah that makes sense about getting distracted. He is more aware of his surroundings. If I b/f him in a different place he looks all around for a bit.

Boy, DS sometimes gets me in his grips I have to scream "Mercy"!!!
    But...he's a very touchy baby...He loves to grab onto to things and hold them when he's sleeping and obviously feeding...
    I find if I give him my shirt or a small toy, he'll hold onto it and not my breast!!
    Maybe a nursing necklace might be able to help - holding and playing with that can occupy so the tugging might lessen?

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

My 3 mo ds does that on occasion and I couldn't figure it out but the suggestions everyone has said make sense. It's hard trying to figure out our lo sometimes. Us moms are great detectives. Good luck!