Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe he said it!

Default I can't believe he said it!

So I am 12 weeks pregnant and had the misfortune of getting the flue this past week/weekend. DH did a wonderful job of keeping ds out of the house and allowing me the time to rest and recover as I was basically unable to truly function other than sleep nad use the bathroom. I also wanted to do all I could to not infect them either.

Well Saturday morning I had made to the couch as dh and ds were getting ready to leave for the day. I asked ds if he wanted to nurse and I was not in any way prepared for the answer... "No mommy, I all done with nursing" and he went about his business as if it were nothing. I didn't know which way to turn but started to well-up but were they tears of sadness or happiness?

He did come home that night and I heard him coming up the stairs asking dh where his mommy was. And he fell onto my bed and immediately fell asleep with a smile on his face as he said my mommy! My heart melted.

Last night I was feeling a bit better and when they came home all he wanted to do was nurse, so I guess we are not done, but we are on that road. I am doing my best to get better and at the same time, maintain that cuddle time. This has been a long journey, but thus far it's been one of the most rewarding things I have ever experienced. I will be sad when it's over, but deep down I will know that every step of it was cherished and that together as a family we walked this path as one, hand in hand, together every step of the way.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Default Re: I can't believe he said it!

& s
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I think I would faint out of shock if DD1 said it (and probably cry too!) but good for you guys! You're on the road!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Awww, mama, I know how you feel... I'm now just over 8 weeks pg, and my milk is soooo low these days, I can't even feel a letdown anymore. My LO is still nursing mornings and bedtime, but last night we sat down to nurse, and she nursed for like 2 seconds on one side, then switched sides and nursed for MAYBE 15 seconds, not long enough for any milk to let down (I never heard/saw her gulping, like usual...) Then she popped off like she was all done, so I put them away. I sat and rocked her for a few minutes and then asked her again, "moo moo's?" So we tried again and she did the same thing, just sucked for a few seconds on each side then wanted to quit. She never did get any milk, just wanted to be rocked to sleep. I'm not sure how I feel about it... my LO is about 17.5 months now, and eating solids GREAT, so I guess if she weans she would be just fine. I was just really enjoying nursing her before I got pg, and now that my milk is so low she just isn't as interested anymore. I think I'm going to keep offering at our normal times and just see what happens. I think my DH kinda wants LO to wean, but he's just leaving it up to us, really. I suspect my LO will fully wean sometime in the near future...

Just wanted to say I'm right there with you... and all the hormones of pregnancy don't make any of this weaning stuff easier!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

That is really sweet of Gabe, and what a big boy to decide for himself when he's done. I'm also glad to hear that you're willing to give him time to wean on his own, or keep going for a little longer.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My DD is only 16 months, so I know we're a long ways off...but I think I'll loose it the day she doesn't want any more milk . I suppose by then perhaps it won't make me so sad .

Thanks ladies. At 26 months I know we've gone the distance. The hurt is still there. Not that he is hurting me, but that we will not have those moments. DH said, "Honey, he is far from done, don't think for a moment he won't be right back asking to nurse as soon as he wants to, but isn't this what you've always wanted, it to be on his terms" It was one of those marital moments when you finally know that what you've been saying all along actually sunk in along the way
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    I think I would faint out of shock if DD1 said it (and probably cry too!) but good for you guys! You're on the road!

Kelly, I sometimes regret that I didn't have the time or patience or endless pain tolerance to give K that opportunity.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gabesmommy View Post
    Thanks ladies. At 26 months I know we've gone the distance. The hurt is still there. Not that he is hurting me, but that we will not have those moments. DH said, "Honey, he is far from done, don't think for a moment he won't be right back asking to nurse as soon as he wants to, but isn't this what you've always wanted, it to be on his terms" It was one of those marital moments when you finally know that what you've been saying all along actually sunk in along the way
    Awww, Kelly it sounds like your DH really "gets it." And he's right... weaning on the child's terms (when possible) is really our ultimate goal, but that doesn't make it any easier knowing the end of the nursing relationship could be near...
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Kelly-That's so . It's so obvious that you have a great son and husband and that you've done an excellent job for 26 months.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language