Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about relactation (x-posted)

Default question about relactation (x-posted)

why is that no matter what i try everything seems to make my supply lessen? i pump, nthing comes out. i take herbs (fifteen pills three times a day) drink mothers milk tea AND try to get him to latch on. nothing is working!!! AAAHHHH!!!!!!! what should i try now?my son is two and a half months old. we have been going at it for about three or four weeks and still NOTHING!!! i am so frusterated. i am actually considering giving up. i dont want to though cause i was doing GREAT until that STUPID MORONIC DOCTOR GAVE MED THOSE GOD FORSAKEN PILLS!!!!! so here is what happened:

my son was born june 5 with no problems labor was only 6 hrs i did have a BIG problem delivering the placenta though. it stuck so bits and pieces stayed in me and i hemmoraged because of it (sorry tmi) needless to say i had a d&c (where they scrape out in there) this caused me to get really weak (loosing all that blood) so i stayed in the hospital three days. about four or five days after i got home i got a bladder infection. my dad took me into the er because of the pain and i needed meds. that IDIOT of a doctor didnt call my ob to notify her i was in there even though it was the same hospital and put me on meds that made me not hungry . well i stopped eating and slept all day. i seriously got to the point where i couldnt even carry ds from room to room cause i was scared i would drop him. well obviously my milk suffered and the fact i slept so much i wasnt pumping either. after about two weeks i went to see my ob for a check up to see if my blood count was increasing and she put me on new pills to get rid of the bladder infection and make me be able to be the mom. so about two weeks total went by that i COULDNT bf my son. then i didnt think i would be able to because my milk was virtually gone. this let another week or so go by with out stimulating the breasts. then i went to a website that said adoptive mothers could bf their children and decided to try. i have been trying for almost (if not a little over) a month now and some days i can get as much as an oz but others (like today) i can BARELY get a drop out!!! please HELP!!!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

here is a list of the herbs i am taking:

fenugreek, fennell seed, chamomile, blessed thistle, alfalfa flower
    i take three of these pills three times a day

i drink 5 - 8oz cups of mothers milk tea and pump every two or three hours when i can. is there anything else you can think of to do or is it time to face the facts that i cant bf my son? tia and im sorry this is so long

Default Re: question about relactation (x-posted)

I'm not an expert but saw that you have no feedback and know how frustrating that is. First, I commend you on your dedication!! THat is amazing!! I know how exhausting it can be to get supply up WITHOUT all the trouble you went through at delivery.

Second, your baby is getting lots of vitamins and minerals even in that small amount that you pump because they are more concentrated when you produce less (as I've read).

Just wondering if you are using a hospital grade pump. My dd is nine months and I'm dealing with a low supply. I used a lactina from hospital at four months and it worked great. I returned it after two weeks. I'm considering going and renting it again because my pump-in-style just doesn't seem to do as much and it's not supposed to be for relactating or supply issues.

Also, have you been to dr to make sure everything went ok with dc? I have heard that can affect supply.

Wish you the best. You're doing a great job. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will post on yours soon.

hmmm i have never heard that about the d&c but i did have them look (and feel ) in there and they said it was back to normal so... my pump is a medela PIS. i cant afford to rent one and my mom got me this one so i didnt have to pay for it. maybe i should takl with her and see if she could loan me the $$$. do you know app how much it would cost? course i can call te hosp and find that out. thanks for your response. i was beginning to wonder if i would ever get help with this one.

I would ask your mom to loan you money. It is about $20 a week, give or take. But one week would probably make a big difference and then you could just use your PIS to keep it up. The only thing is, you will probably have to buy a kit that costs around $40.

I just know from using my PIS that it's not working like the Lactina did. You will really feel a big difference.