Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finished so suddenly!?!

Default Finished so suddenly!?!

I so don't know if I'm happy or sad.

I wanted to breastfeed until 1 year and then slowly wean. I assumed it would take a couple of months.

Well at 11 months I started night weaning due to lack of sleep. After a couple of weeks we were no longer nursing at night. Only during the day!! Woohoo!! I decided I was happy with this and would keep doing this until after her birthday. She nursed at 5-6am again after breakfast, mid afternoon and before bed. I wasn't going to start cutting any of those feedings out until after her birthday. Sometimes we'd miss the mid morning or mid afternoon one due to playgroup stuff and being busy (I'd give it to her if she asked but not if she didn't), no big deal I'd just offer it normally the next day.

A week ago (ish?) she suddenly didn't want to nurse before bed. Ok I put her to bed without. She nursed normally for the next couple days. Then she refused another night feeding. Again back to normal the next day. Then all of sudden she stopped! No more dropped feedings. From 3-4 nursings a day to 0!

Now the last time she nursed was at 5am yesterday. 36 hours ago! I've offered a few times (all the usual times) and she just looks at the breast and cries until I put it away.

Now we're only a week and a half until her birthday. So I can still say I nursed her for a year. But I wasn't expecting her to wean so fast!! I feel like I should have cherished that last session all cuddled up in bed more. Had I known it was the last I would have!!

Should I continue to offer if she doesn't ask? I was planning to start weaning within a couple of weeks anyway, so that might be mean to coax her back on just to wean not too long after. Or do I just accept that she may be done?

ETA: For those of you who have been following my long term sleep troubles and recent night weaning. Naomi is sleeping soooo much better now. For the most part when she wakes she will quickly go back to sleep with a short back rub. Last night she slept 10 hours. She cried out twice. Just a quick wahh! I woke and listened and she had put herself back to sleep immediately after. No actual crying. I didn't have to go into her room. She woke at 5 this morning (well 6 due to the time change) and cuddled with me in my bed for a couple of hours. (As I tried to get her to nurse! - sigh).
    Last edited by @llli*baby-blue-eyes; March 8th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Finished so suddenly!?!

I don't know your LO but everything I know about weaning says that she'll probably want to nurse again. My LO is 2 1/2, he's a lot older but he'll go 2 days or so and then nurse again 3 times a day. Then not nurse for awhile and then come back.
    If she suddenly stopped like that it's probably more of a strike that you can just go with into weaning. I wouldn't be surprised if she wants to nurse again though!
    Your hormones have probably taken a bit of a hit going from 4 to 0 so it's normal to feel a little blue or off during this time. Once you don't have that Oxytocin being pumped in regularly you really miss it!!

Thanks for the reply!
    She's never gone on a nursing strike before.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see! I think if she does ask to nurse again I'll be taking in every moment of it - thinking it might be the last time!
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I hope she nurses one last time for you! If not write a nursing story for her and you'll both treasure that for a long time!

Momma it sounds like a nursing strike. We had lots of them after 12 months, and I bet that she will come back to breast when she's ready.

Can you think of any reason she might have gone on a nursing strike? Is she teething really bad or has been sick?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Momma it sounds like a nursing strike. We had lots of them after 12 months, and I bet that she will come back to breast when she's ready.

Can you think of any reason she might have gone on a nursing strike? Is she teething really bad or has been sick?
    I've been checking but I don't see or feel any new teeth. It's possible though, she hasn't had a new one come in in months. She hasn't been sick. Has a tiny bit of a runny nose, but not enough to really impede breathing.

I told my mom it felt like she was saying "you don't want me to drink at night? fine! I don't need you then!"
    I'm sure her thought process isn't that complex but maybe she's upset about the night weaning? I sure hope not seeing as I'm finally getting some decent sleep... but maybe? It's the only thing I can think of that's new.
    Amanda

This happened with DD2 and I was devastated but I just moved on. Then she popped six teeth in six weeks and now that I am more connected to the works of LLL I wonder if I gave up too easily. It had always made me sad. I never pumped or anything before this LO.

So tomorrow morning at 5 am it will be exactly a week since Naomi last nursed. Doesn't look like I'm getting one more session.

I've posted a thread in 'around the refreshment table' looking for ideas to help me come up with a nursing story. I really like this idea. Any help is appreciated!
    Amanda

Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63