Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can toddlers get thrush?

Default Can toddlers get thrush?

I emailed my pedi about probiotics to ward off any thrush from my ABX. She said that yes I should take them but not Logan. He was too old to develop oral thrush from nursing.

Is that true?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: Can toddlers get thrush?

I'm not sure what the true answer is, but I would think ANYBODY could get thrush. I have heard that even adults can get thrush in their mouth. My nurse friend once told me that her patients at the hospital who got it told her it was painful...
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I actually got misdiagnosed with thrush in my early 20s, so the dumb doctor I saw sure seemed to think I could get thrush even as an adult. The jerk even accused me of having bad hygiene, which really made me mad. I actually just have geographic tongue which occasionally gives my tongue a patchy appearance. Sorry, kind of got OT there.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I thought the same thing.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I would think anyone could get it. But I am no expert.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

I know adults can get it as well, and it is very common for people with asthma if an inhaler is used improperly.

Logan using probiotics can't hurt anyways, and if they keep the thrush away...well better yet!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Usually adults get thrush b/c of ABT (and you usually see it in the immune compromised also). I would think that if he's not on ABT too he will be ok - but probiotics couldn't hurt. Sorry you have mastitis! That really sucks, especially this late in the game.

my mil had it and she's not a baby......

Okay I decided that I'm going to take them but not Logan. Everything that I'm reading says probiotics can cause constipation, and we went through a major ordeal with that for months and I don't want to go down that path again. I'm just going to make sure he's getting some yogurt every day, and I've already started taking mine. Hope it works!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09