Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 months...way too early...

Default 4 months...way too early...

i know...it's too early to think about solids.
    but DS is contantly looking at us while eating,when he is on his dad lap on the table he seems overstimulated and even drools!lol! he watches me eating and opes his eyes wide up, and then starts fussing,even if it's been 1 hour since his last feeding.then i offer him the breast,eats for 2 minutes ,pulls away,looks at me and smiles(usually biting my nipple!Lol)
    his first tooth already poped out,but it is not the front ones it's his canine! haha!(this baby does everything reversed...)
    i really don't know..my ped is really in breastfeeding and suggests 6 months EBF,before introducing anything.i wonder what u think...
    also i have to note that DS almost never makes it to 3 hours between feedings.most of them are one hour or one hour and a half apart.
    Vasilios was born 16th November 2008,
    Sergios was born 1st December 2010
    we and from day 1...

Default Re: 4 months...way too early...

heres a realy great link with reasons why to deal soilds

maybe something here would help

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

It sounds like he is doing great! It's totally normally for him to be ready to eat every hour and a half (or even more frequently), especially if he's having a growth spurt. I remember a big one around 4 months, so maybe that's part of what's going on. I'm guessing that another thing that's happening is he's bigger and more aware of what's happening around him, so when he sees you eating it's interesting. It doesn't mean, though, that he's ready to eat--just that he's curious about what's going on. It sounds like you're getting great advice from your pediatrician about waiting. You're doing great!

Your little guy sounds like mine! It seemed like he was really interested in what we were eating since day one. He is almost eight months old and we started him slowly on a bit of solids at six months. He is a frequent nurser even with the solids, but he loves to eat whatever we will put in his mouth.

Hello!!
    I know I am against the crowd on this one...and I'm not saying you have to or have not to, and Annabella is 51/2 months and we're starting.. But you don't HAVE to wait until your LO is 6 months...Many ped's offer for your baby to start them at 4-6 months, right, it's not "recommended" because they should be exclusively fed BM..but in our case and I bet in many, it's not like your baby is going to eat a feast of solids! "starting" baby on solids is really to get baby used to textures and different tastes~ I don't see anything wrong with offering your LO a little here or a little there. Remember YOU are babies mother, and go with what you feel is right for your babe, I kinda wish now I had offered her some solids at 4 months because she was the same way...she doesn't nurse less at all 'because' we've tried offering her solids, so go with your heart, and have fun! Many many moms feed their babies at 4 months..keep posted!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Andrea's link above has plenty of reasons and research as to why to delay solids until 6 months. Yes some Drs may say it's ok to start at 4 months, but they are not up to date in their research. The American Acadamy of Pediatrics reccomends waiting until 6 months. Along with plenty of other organizations.

If baby is acting interested at dinner time try giving him a bowl and spoon to play with while you eat. This actually can make them quite happy!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

My youngest was REALLY interested in everything we were eating at 3 - 4 months -- he kept reaching for our forks and watching as we put food in our mouths. My sister kept saying, "you're never going to be able to get him to wait until he's 6 months!"

He also had teeth at 4 months -- so it was tempting. We have tons of hilarious pictures of him leaning over / reaching for different foods (we could probably fill a collage frame with them!!) But we decided to wait until he was 6 months to offer solids and strangely -- once we offered them -- he wasn't as interested! Go figure!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Wink Re: 4 months...way too early...

I know this is my own personal theory...And I am sure I may be wrong, who knows, but I was wondering if waiting instead of trying when they show interest..is what actually causes them to lose interest, and I wonder if that's why so many babies don't end up eating until they are 8 months or so. Just a thought...Many babies do juust fine when fed at 4 months...And I would have never out of fear and knowing they little digestive systems are too immature,but many babies are fed earlier and they are just fine too, so I would never say to someone.."You have to wait" ya know? It's all recommendations and up to each and their own.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

agree with pp; give your lo a spoon and small empty cup. my dd was the same way but i managed to wait til 6 months and she loves solids now the sassy less mess toddler spoons two pack ($5) are perfect, she can feed herself using them-its so much fun to watch her

good luck mama
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first

It sounds like things are going well for you. Your LOs eating pattern is normal for a breastfed baby. Also sometimes babies need to nurse more often while going through a growth spurt or teething. The interest your LO is taking in what you are doing and the world around him is fun and exciting to watch! He is curious and learning about the world. Here is some information that may be helpful to you regarding starting solid foods. It describes some milestones that help you know your LO is ready to start solids. Becoming more sociable and maybe even imitating chewing can happen a few months before they are fully ready to eat, but are the exciting precursors that mark the start of the path to solids. Some milestones that show baby is really ready for solids include: being at least 6 months old, sitting up without support, losing the tongue-thrust reflex, is developing the pincher grasp. www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html
    Carrie
    LLL Leader