Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple damage

Default Nipple damage

Ugh - DS is one (today, actually) and I, for the first time after nursing two babies have some nipple damage. I know that I have been so lucky to not have had to deal with this before that, but now that I am, I'm not sure what to do. I have a few tiny scabs on the nipple and pain (comes in waves) after nursing. When I give the side with the damage a rest, it feels better, but tonight, for example. I nursed him at 7:30 and am still feeling pain one hour later . Any suggestions? I hate to just not nurse on the left side for a while for fear that it would significantly affect my milk production on that side.
    Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Nipple damage

heres a great link with tips

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

any puss or sign of infection, a call to the doctor might be wise.

It could be thrush, or vasospasm.

Have you had thrush before? I know that generally it is associated with being on abx, but it can also just happen for no reason.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Does your baby have his top teeth? Sometimes those teeth can rub on the nipple and cause skin breakdown. If this is the case, you can try changing nursing positions so the teeth are in a different spot for a while. Or you can try to adjust latch by pulling his body around your waist (away from the sore breast) which may help tip his head back a little. Does that make any sense at all???

HTH. I know there's a kellymom link related to teeth rubbing causing nipple pain. I'll look for it if I get a second.

Stephanie
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Found it!!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab....html#scraping

Does that sound like the problem at all?

Stephanie
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Thank you all - I'm still not sure what's going on as it's so sporadic, but- it's getting better. I found a LLL link about a woman who had thrush even through her child didn't have any signs and her symptoms were very similar to mine. I have actually been treating it with a Lotrimin cream. It seems to quell the hurt when it happens a bit. I am definitely nursing less frequently on that side and I think that's helping as well. Thanks, again, for all of your feedback and suggestions! It's nice to have a place to go for help and support!