Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mucus in stool

Default Mucus in stool

So my 4 month old has a lot of mucus in his poo. This has been going on for about 3 1/2 wks. He's almost 15 lbs. Was 6 lbs. 4 oz. at birth. The week before the mucus arrived he didn't poo once. I was gettin a little worried, but knew this happens around his age. Now he goes 6+ a day. His norm for a while was down to 2 a day sometimes every couple of days. Never went a full wk w/out. And it's soo runny. Not like before. It's still seedy. Was brown for a while, but is back to mustard color. I am going through tons of diapers. We had his 4 mo. check up and ped said this was fine, although I forgot to mention the mucus. Just the # and the runs. He also has been more irritable. Not a lot, but noticable. He drools a lot too and maybe the mucus is from that??? But what about the runs? It's like this everday. Should I be alarmed? Ped wasn't. She thought it was too early for teething. He also doesn't sleep through the night, but never has. Wakes 3x to feed between 7:30p and 7am. Did I forget anything? Oh, he all of a sudden has become a goofy eater. He's strictly BF, but bobs on and off the whole time. He used to only do this when he was finished. Like he was playing with his food. LOL. And I have OS/OALD. Sorry so long. Trying to be specific.
    Mommy to Phoenix born 10-24-08
    and

Default Re: Mucus in stool

sorry I don't have many answers for you
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html
    that link mainly talks about blood in stool, but also mentions mucus.

I did wanna chime in and say that i do not think 4 mos in too young for teething! (DS got 2 teeth at that age)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well if there is blood in the stool I do not see it. There isn't any other color than the mustard color. A few times since he was born there have been darker streaks in it, but that's all. I have been on the kellymom site. Hmm. Thanks. Oh and when he's bobbin for his food it's like he's looking to see if I'm still there. We make eye contact and off he goes to eat. Goof little guy! Sometimes he smiles and goes back to his business. He sure doesn't seem upset during his sinner, but he is never quite relaxed that's for sure. Huh....
    and

My son started having muscus stools at a little over 2 mo along with major irritability and I firgured out he had a milk protein sensitivity. I eliminated dairy & soy and his mood improved greatly. He is still having the mucusy poo with some curds but I was told that can take a while to clear up. He was at the ped today for reflux and they did the blood test in the poo and it was positive for trace amounts. You can try not eating any dairy for a few days and see if his mood and poo improves.
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

As the pp said, mucous in the poop can be an indicator of dairy or soy sensitivity, but it can take up to a month to see a difference if you decide to cut out dairy. The cow protein is not easily broken down & will take at least 2-3 weeks to be removed from your milk.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

He's also really gassy. He was always a little farter....well actually a big one. DH looks at me and says: was that YOU? Nope. The baby! He's never uncomfortable with it. Seems to get out one way or another. And I guess he's not super irritable. Just sometimes so not sure if that's a real symptom here. He's pretty good natured. Just seemed a little off for a bit. That's why I thought maybe teething. And heard about 'eating' all of that drool. I may try the dairy free diet.
    and

Baylor was really gassy too for the first 2 months and after I went DF and SF it really decreased significantly. Even to the point where he would have a dirty diaper and we did not knowright away because is happened so quietly! The PP is right it does take several weeks for the proteins to get out of your system and after a few days, if this is what is causing the change in his poo and mood, you should see a difference.
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

I agree with the other mammas. If there are no other signs of illness (fever, etc.), consistently green, watery stools may also mean baby is sensitive to a food or a medication. Could it be a virus of some sort (I know you mentioned it's been like this for a while, though...). Do you eat a lot of fruits? Sometimes this can cause a sensitivity in baby's bm's. Or, maybe just a lot of one particular kind of food? Some moms in your similar situation have increased their nursing to *more than* 2 nursings per side... block nursing. Maybe this might help?

Sometimes, it might even be just a teething symptom.

take care,
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; March 6th, 2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarity
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I'm not sure if this matters, but his poo is def not green. Today was the first day on a long time that it actually was the right consistency and color and seediness. Hmm. Thanks for all your ideas. I'll have to see what my next move is. I still don't get the on off on off of his eating. Like seriously it's every couple of sucks...not even swallows. Doesn't seem bothered, though. Oh well. I'll keep at er. And he's been a farter since day 1. LOL.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLCarla View Post
    I agree with the other mammas. If there are no other signs of illness (fever, etc.), consistently green, watery stools may also mean baby is sensitive to a food or a medication. Could it be a virus of some sort (I know you mentioned it's been like this for a while, though...). Do you eat a lot of fruits? Sometimes this can cause a sensitivity in baby's bm's. Or, maybe just a lot of one particular kind of food? Some moms in your similar situation have increased their nursing to *more than* 2 nursings per side... block nursing. Maybe this might help?

Sometimes, it might even be just a teething symptom.

take care,
    Your absolutely correct! I should've said "consistently green, watery stools and/or mucousy stools..." Color isn't a big deal, usually, at 4 mos.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; March 6th, 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: clarify
    Carla
    LLL Leader